bubble question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

bubble question

Post by slats »

Just made a one layer plus design plate and got a bubble in the middle...it did burst... Can I refuse it ? Will it flatten if I put a small frit on the outside os the rim allowing air to escape?
Brock

Re: bubble question

Post by Brock »

doctac wrote:Just made a one layer plus design plate and got a bubble in the middle...it did burst... Can I refuse it ? Will it flatten if I put a small frit on the outside os the rim allowing air to escape?
Yes, refuse it.

You can repair it in many ways, including what you propose. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
revjerry

Bubbles

Post by revjerry »

Brock is correct; he always is so listen when he speakes.

My response to bubbles, as with some other problems, is that it's best to avoid them rather than trying to fix them. When I flat fuse I found that the thickness of the piece as well as my firing schedule both acted to cause, or defeat bubbles.

I used to do two layer stuff and used to get horrible bubbles; went to three layers and the bubbles went away.

I used to go to 1500 for a full fuse and got terrible bubbles; went to 1450 with an hour soak and the bubbles went away.

I used to fire pretty fast above 1200; slowed WAY down in that range and the bubbles went away.

I used to blame bubbles on warped kiln shelves. Well, I still do, but there seems to be more to it.

Hope some of that helps.

jerry
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Brock is correct; he always is so listen when he speakes.
Yes, he is. Brock is like Simon on American Idol. He speaks the the truth, even when it's sometimes tough to hear. (of course, occasionally Simon is WAY off base . . . remember when he didn't like George!? :shock: At least he's come around)