windows in bowls/plates?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jane

windows in bowls/plates?

Post by Jane »

I have been wondering how those windows/holes (which are glass) in bowls/plates are done! Here is how I think they have been done:

#1 idea is: pieces of glass leave the window/holes in glass and filling with different colored glass or. I have done this I'm just not very good at it! I didn't like my look....I know practice makes better!

#2 ideas is there were sand balsted out then filled with glass frit and refired. Haven't tried, I do not have a sand blaster.

Am I close? I love the look!

Jane
Brock

Re: windows in bowls/plates?

Post by Brock »

Jane wrote:I have been wondering how those windows/holes (which are glass) in bowls/plates are done! Here is how I think they have been done:

#1 idea is: pieces of glass leave the window/holes in glass and filling with different colored glass or. I have done this I'm just not very good at it! I didn't like my look....I know practice makes better!

#2 ideas is there were sand balsted out then filled with glass frit and refired. Haven't tried, I do not have a sand blaster.

Am I close? I love the look!

Jane
A lot of times that look is achieved by pre-firing other glasses into pattern bars that are then cut, and assembled with the background glass, You can sandblast or drill holes and then re-fire them also. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jane

Post by Jane »

Thank You Brock,

I never thought about pattern bars....yes, I will have to give them a try!

Jane
Phil Brown

Post by Phil Brown »

Jane
Say you had a stainless steel ring the size of your bowl/plate. In that ring you place say 1" circles of clear or transparent glass (either 2 layers or 1 piece of thick glass) wherever you want your windows. Then fill in the rest of the ring with darker/opaque frits and full fuse. A finished flat blank could be drilled as well and then the holes filled in with frit or glass pieces and re-fused. You would generally get clearer windows by using transparent sheet glass pieces rather than frit.
Phil
Jane

Post by Jane »

Phil,

Thank you for a great idea also. I don't have any stainless steel rings. But planning on it some day.

Jane
Phil Brown

Post by Phil Brown »

Jane
the stainless ring was was just the easiest/simplest example to visualize. You can do this with plaster open molds and several other methods like using dams. Even glass strips built up around the outside of your design could contain the frit in a similar manner as a stainless ring (I don't have any stainless rings either so this is giving me some ideas as well).
Phil

---------
"My future starts when I wake up every morning. Every day I find something creative to do with my life." Miles Davis
Jane

Post by Jane »

Phil,

The stainless steel rings....do sound like fun! I've had some thoughts on them, I do need to get a few in different sizes and give them a try.

I think first it will be the patterns bars.

Jane
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Stainless Steel rings..... Give my son an email

matt@profabllc.com

He makes circles, squares, rectangles and just about any other size you want. He's not fast but he is reliable. Check with others on the board and I believe you will find that they will testify to this.

Phil
Brock

Post by Brock »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Stainless Steel rings..... Give my son an email

matt@profabllc.com

He makes circles, squares, rectangles and just about any other size you want. He's not fast but he is reliable. Check with others on the board and I believe you will find that they will testify to this.

Phil
Excellent service!

Although . . . I'm still waiting for my four sided, triangular pentarhomboidagram.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jane

Post by Jane »

Phil,

I have send him a e-mail. Can't wait.

Jane
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Brock wrote:
Phil Hoppes wrote:Stainless Steel rings..... Give my son an email

matt@profabllc.com

Phil
Excellent service!

Although . . . I'm still waiting for my four sided, triangular pentarhomboidagram.
Last time I was in his shop he was just finishing that romboidal tesseract for you. How you are going to make a kline bottle out of that I have no idea.