making animals stand

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

making animals stand

Post by slats »

Cut and fused various zoo animals (gift for expecting daught-in-law).......How can I slump them so that they will stand ........like Newy Fagen's horses?
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Creative kiln furniture stacking, or whatever else will take the heat. Friend of mine used to make turtles and frogs, and she would not only slump them to stand nicely, but to get the feet to turn out in a very natural looking way. I have made fused hands, that I would then slump to
look as if they were grasping or reaching. If the animal has a tall neck the challenge would be much greater, but short necked, or low riding fauna are easy. Do you have zebras, giraffes, or other tall guys to do?
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Cut a couple of test strips. Stand them with kiln furniture and try a tack fuse to make sure you have the correct schedule so they just tack and not slump too much.

Phil
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Newy Fagan dresses in protective gear, reaches into her kiln and bends the legs of her horses while they are still hot.

ch