anneal question,,,,,

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

anneal question,,,,,

Post by rodney »

im wondering if i made a thick vase shape, that was not annealed,,,and later, once it was totally cooled, i put it into the kiln or a furnace to heat it up again,,,would it heat up and stay in one piece, or would it heat up and break,,,,thanks,,,,rodney
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If it wasn't annealed at all, it would probably (I'd say definitely) crack before you put it back in the kiln for the second firing.

If it was poorly annealed, it might survive and it might not. A piece of glass might or might not survive if you dropped it on a cement floor, too, but the odds are a lot better if it has been properly annealed.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brad Walker wrote:If it wasn't annealed at all, it would probably (I'd say definitely) crack before you put it back in the kiln for the second firing.

If it was poorly annealed, it might survive and it might not. A piece of glass might or might not survive if you dropped it on a cement floor, too, but the odds are a lot better if it has been properly annealed.
Or slumped. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
rodney

Post by rodney »

thannnnnk you gentlemen for the comeback

i do appreciate it

rodney