Contact lenses and kiln work

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Juhasz

Contact lenses and kiln work

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I was told by my eye Doc that he thought it might be advangtages for me to wear contacts instead of getting the corrective surgery that is so popular right now. I am concerned about any ill effects wearing contacts when looking in the hot kiln, with protective glasses of course. Those of you that wear contacts do you wear them when you are going to be working with your kiln or do you wear your glasses? Thanks Nanc
Katia T.

Post by Katia T. »

H Nancy
I use contact lenses, and had had dryness problems last year.
During some time I used glasses, but now I use my contact lenses, and I am very careful, as I was told to be by many friends from the board, and use googles to look inside the kiln...
I hate glasses, can´t live without my contact lenses...
Katia
Bev Brandt

Re: Contact lenses and kiln work

Post by Bev Brandt »

Nancy Juhasz wrote:I am concerned about any ill effects wearing contacts when looking in the hot kiln, with protective glasses of course.
I've been wearing contact lenses in some form for 25 years. Since I was a sophomore in high school.

I don't wear my contacts at my "day job" because there seems to be something in the air here (printing company) that makes my eyes very dry. But I put them on as soon as I get home and I wear my contacts on the weekends. I wear soft, disposable lenses.

I think I can see slightly better with my contacts, so I especially wear them when I'm doing any glass work. I prefer contacts because I wear protective goggles for all coldwork and those are very uncomfortable when I wear them over my glasses. (I've had shards fly behind my glasses, so I know they're not good protection by themselves.)

The only thing that wearing contacts does seem to do is to make my eyes more sensitive to light, but I don't think that means that they're more susceptible to damage from looking in the kiln. Just keep wearing that protective eye-gear.

- Bev
Bev Brandt
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

I seem to have the most problems with dust making my contacts dry. (removing old kiln wash, etc.) My general rule is that if I'm doing something that would require a respirator, I wear safety glasses too. Also, when I'm soldering (jewelry or stained glass, but mostly jewelry) the flux fumes can cause dryness problems. Just make sure you always have an extra bottle of eye drops around.
Valla E

Post by Valla E »

Agreement from this corner, as well! I've worn contacts for 40 years. As long as you're wearing your protective goggles or glasses, you're fine. Remembering to blink is important! :)
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will get them. Nanc