Not To Miss: Kirstie Rea at Pittsburgh Glass Center!!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Catharine Newell

Not To Miss: Kirstie Rea at Pittsburgh Glass Center!!!

Post by Catharine Newell »

As a dedicated Kirstie Rea fan, I just HAD to post an announcement about her class at the Pittburgh Glass Center this summer June 21 - July 3.

Kirstie is an outstanding artist, a generous and dedicated educator, and one of the most thoughtful and inspirational women I have ever met. As her TA, I am thrilled at the prospect of spending these two weeks with her and I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to sign up for her course!

Titled "Interpretation and Exploration - In and Out of the Kiln", the course description reads: "In this class, students will have the opportunity to explore and develop a vocabulary that will enable them to interpret and transfer their ideas into finished forms. Kilnformed glass techniques, using Bullseye glass, will be discussed and demonstrated. Through drawing, hands-on-work, group discussions and collaboration, individual ideas will be investigated and developed in a variety of ways. Students will be encouraged to explore and experiment in the kiln and with various cold working techniques, introduced to extend and complete individual works."

The "Thoughtful Work" thread I posted last winter was inspired by two weeks in Scotland with Kirstie. This will truly be a beyond-technique course that will greatly influence thought behind future work.

Further information about this course, Kirstie, and the Pittsburgh Glass Center can be found on http://www.pittsburghglasscenter.org. !

I hope to see you there!

Catharine
Glenda Kronke

Kirstie's class

Post by Glenda Kronke »

I want to second that.

The 'Thoughtful Work' thread really inspired me and helped me to start thinking in terms of where I wanted to go with my work. I was thrilled to get my catalog from Pittsburgh Glass Center and when I saw that Kirstie was teaching a class I just had to sign up. I was even more thrilled to find out that Catharine was going to be TA (she has already been instrumetal in guiding me through several difficult areas in my developement). Also, don't forget that Kirstie has great creditials; she teaches at the Canberra School of Art, studied with Klaus Moje and has been working with kilnformed glass for 20 yrs.

I don't think this will so much be about technique as it will be about exploring ideas. This is where I think I will benefit the most. How to take those many expirements/ideas and begin thinking in terms of finished pieces. I for one, am very excited and am looking forward to the experience!

glenda
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I just signed up for that class the other day. I'm going to drive so if anyone between here and there wants to hitch a ride just let me know.

See you there.

Amy
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:I just signed up for that class the other day. I'm going to drive so if anyone between here and there wants to hitch a ride just let me know.

See you there.

Amy
Brat! I wanna come! (Where's Marla now that I need her?)
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Tee Hee! You can come, you just gotta figure out what to do with Morgan for a few weeks. The class is a deal if you ask me.

Amy
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

At what age, I wonder, is one allowed to send the little buggers off to summer camp?? :-k
Amy Schleif-Mohr

I don't know, I never went to camp. You could ask her if she wants to go and see if you can find a camp that will take her.

A
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:I don't know, I never went to camp. You could ask her if she wants to go and see if you can find a camp that will take her.

A
See if you can find a camp that will take her? Hahaha! I am totally cracking up! :lol:
Amy Schleif-Mohr

I was talking about the age thing, sheesh. Morgan is great!
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:I just signed up for that class the other day. I'm going to drive so if anyone between here and there wants to hitch a ride just let me know.

See you there.

Amy
The class is a real deal. I would take it in a heartbeat if I could but no classes for me this year.

Pam
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:I was talking about the age thing, sheesh. Morgan is great!
Oh. 8-[
S. Klein

Post by S. Klein »

Just have to chime in here. Kirstie is an amazing teacher. I have taken a class from her as well as TAing for her in Scotland last summer. Kirstie encourages her students to think about the direction of their work and to use the material in a way that it will work with the artists ideas and concepts. Her classes are more about discovery and expression than about technique. However, Kirstie is so experienced in kiln forming that one cannot help but to learn new ways to use glass. A huge plus is having Catharine as a TA. Catharines work continues to mature as she discovers more about herself, her intent and the material. This is certainly a class for anyone wanting to continue their artistic growth beyond the material. They are both very giving, very thoughtful, very pleasant and sooo much fun........................steve
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867
Brock

Post by Brock »

Ditto! Brocko
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

At what age, I wonder, is one allowed to send the little buggers off to summer camp??

jackie,
when they are too big to store in the luggage compartment at the railway station.

-lauri
--
I know the second childhood is coming
but I do not feel any younger.