Some questions from a NEWBIE

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

biker girl

Some questions from a NEWBIE

Post by biker girl »

Hi,
I have probably dabbled in most artforms but glass slumping is one that I have not! I am wondering if anyone has had experience slumping glass bottles...I'm talking the whole bottle!(Like the Sky Vodka bottles, those are such a pretty blue) I have read over the tutrial and would like some feedback from some of the experts. Also, being an art teacher I have access to 3 skutt kilns, one being an automatic!! I would love to do a glass slumping lesson with my 7th graders!! If any of you have some info on that I would love to hear your ideas.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

biker girl!!
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Hi biker girl,
slumping bottles is a good start. It is not so sensitive for
temperature and timing. Just peek and stop when tey are flat enough.

Search the archives (search) and (old archives) for
slumping bottles. there is lots of experiences.

One little warning: The kiln working is strongly addictive, there is no cure.

-lauri

Hi,
I have probably dabbled in most artforms but glass slumping is one that I have not! I am wondering if anyone has had experience
slumping glass bottles...I'm talking the whole bottle!(Like the Sky Vodka bottles, those are such a pretty blue) I have read over the
tutrial and would like some feedback from some of the experts. Also, being an art teacher I have access to 3 skutt kilns, one being
an automatic!! I would love to do a glass slumping lesson with my 7th graders!! If any of you have some info on that I would love
to hear your ideas.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

biker girl!![/quote]
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Slumping glass over clay flowerpots is easy, interesting and inexpensive. The finished product can be used for votives or tea lights, oil lamps, potpourri holders etc. There are a lot of textured clear glasses available which are not expensive glasses and the combination of the textures and the folds achieved in slumping look great. I can send you instructions if you are interested.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
Lauri Levanto

To Lynn

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Lynn wrote:
I can send you instructions if you are interested.

Yes, I am interested
I have to learn to slump.
-lauri