fire polishing haze

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Robinson

fire polishing haze

Post by Susan Robinson »

Hi,

I fire polished some cabs that I had shaped with my ringsaw, and while they came out nice and smooth, there is a whitish scummy haze around the edges where I made cuts. How can I get rid of this?

thanks,
Susan
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Susan,

It sounds like devit. You can grind it off and fire polish again. Did you clean the glass after using the saw? I have a trim saw and I don't have any problems with devit on the edge of the cut but I clean the glass in water after cutting.

Susan
lohman

Post by lohman »

I find the ring saw doesn't cut clean enough to go straight to fire polish.
I grind all cuts and refine my shapes before firepolishing.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Most likely you didn't get the cut edge clean enough. I wouldn't say it's devit, it's just scum from the cutting. You need to make sure you clean your pieces really well after cutting them. Some people toss the cut pieces in a bucket of water right after cutting them. Then they go to the sink with a tooth brush and scrub all the pieces.

As for getting rid of the scum that is on the pieces that you have now, well you could try sandblasting the scum off and re-firing.

Good luck,
Amy
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

Susan, I've used Klyr Fire to "seal" the edges on these types of cuts. That's helped, but I think the most important thing is to get them well cleaned.

...Kelly
Susan Robinson

Post by Susan Robinson »

thanks for the tips!
I just did another round, but brushed them in water with a toothbrush first and they came out clean (I think I had just wiped the others with a damp cloth). Some still have slight lines, though, so I'll try finer grinding in the future as well.

-Susan
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Susan,

Next time put a little Super Spray on the ground edges after you've cleaned them.

I put Super Spray on all edges I've cut with my ring saw or tile saw after they are washed and dried.

Judy
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Susan, Another thing to do to the edges of ground glass or glass cut with a saw is to scrub the edges with wet fine sandpaper under water. I use a plastic dish pan filled with water and thourghly sand the edges under water then rinse them well. You can't rush this step. I have never tried super spray on the edges but will soon. If you want the grit on the sandpaper let me know and I will go down and look. I think it is what they call extra fine and it is black. You can get it at Lowe's or that kind of place.
Nanc