Float Sched. - Need Help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sandy Jackson

Float Sched. - Need Help

Post by Sandy Jackson »

I have made some cool things out of float in my 18" kiln and they turned out great. However, I have started using a large kiln 9' x 4' ( shouldn't make any difference) but i tried to use the following schedule t to slump 1/4 " float.
350h/1000 - 10min
700-1375 - 20 min
hold 1000 - 2 hours

I opened it up and not a damn thing but a minute movement on the edges. Do I need to go higher on this process or do you think my new kiln is just not functioning? I fused some bullseye in it the time before and it wa s perfect????

Any comments would be helpful.
Also Ive been searching around for scheduled for float. If anybody has any that they wouldnt mind sharing .......

Regards,
Sandy
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Float needs to go higher than Bullseye. Bert will probably have a great schedule for you, but each kiln is unique for the specifics. If you can watch your kiln to monitor its own performance, you will figure it out for yourself. - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
Bert Weiss

Re: Float Sched. - Need Help

Post by Bert Weiss »

Sandy Jackson wrote:I have made some cool things out of float in my 18" kiln and they turned out great. However, I have started using a large kiln 9' x 4' ( shouldn't make any difference) but i tried to use the following schedule t to slump 1/4 " float.
350h/1000 - 10min
700-1375 - 20 min
hold 1000 - 2 hours

I opened it up and not a damn thing but a minute movement on the edges. Do I need to go higher on this process or do you think my new kiln is just not functioning? I fused some bullseye in it the time before and it wa s perfect????

Any comments would be helpful.
Also Ive been searching around for scheduled for float. If anybody has any that they wouldnt mind sharing .......

Regards,
Sandy
sandy

In theory, 1375 should do the trick. So my first question is where is the thermocouple? Maybe it is too close to the elements.

You have 2 zones don't you? How are they set up control wise?

In my kiln, I would go up 600 dph to 1200, soak there for 20 minutes and then go to 1350 at maybe 400 dph and then soak for 10 or 20 minutes. Then I would fall to 1000 hold for 36 minutes take 36 minutes down to 900 then take 24 minutes down to 700 and 24 minutes down to 300 and crack the kiln when it actually reaches 300.

A slump test is always a good idea to determine what temp to anneal your glasses. In my kiln float slumped at 1100 so I anneal soak at 1000. Read up on the details of how to setup and do the slump test. I got it from Lundstrom Fusing book 1. I have posted in detail the process before.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Sandy Jackson

Post by Sandy Jackson »

Ah... you smart cookie. Grasshopper move thermocoupler down a bit....kiln worky fine now.

THanks.

Sandy