I like to score...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

skin_mechanic

I like to score...

Post by skin_mechanic »

...Working retail sucks for the most part, but I do luck out occasionally...

...These old toothbrush fixtures were gonna be tossed in the compactor. I immediately saw the potential, and asked for them. They're stackable, light weight, and can hold up to 120 different kinds of glass, and best of all: They were FREE!!! :D :D :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Just finished pulling out the toothbrush holders and loaded some of the slots with my BE glass...

...I'm gloating right now :lol: :lol: :lol: Inspiration can come from the craziest places.
Cristi

Post by Cristi »

ah yes... my glass is stored in 16 field scene stackers from one of disney studios' 'going out of business" sales. ain't re-use grand? -Cristi
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

pretty nice, Skin.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Looks good Joseph- Good for you.

But one word of caution. I can't tell by looking how sturdy those are, but maybe there is a way for you to weight them well, or bracket them to the wall or something to ensure they don't topple. Once, a couple years ago, a woman posted (sorry, I don't remember who) about just getting all her new glass order organized in her new storage system, standing back to admire it in all it's beauty, and then suddenly, before her eyes, it all came crashing and crashing and crashing to the ground. Wow - just remembering her telling of that story makes me feel her pain all over again. Luckily she wasn't hurt, but her entire case of new glass was in shards! :cry: So - just thought I'd pass that along in hopes you'll come up with a great way to secure your new system.

Take care,
Jackie
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Jackie, the woman was Cynthia and she was lucky to escape with her life and/or body intact. However, the experience was probably the start of her "style" since she had a pile of pieces instead of sheets.

Joseph, my guess is that you'll have a hard time getting the glass in and out of them especially if you plan on saving smallish sizes. But I'm with you, it's hard to throw anything away or turn down a freebie.

Follow Jackie's advice and be sure that the storage unit can't topple.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Cynthia

Re: I like to score...

Post by Cynthia »

Skin_Mechanic wrote:...Working retail sucks for the most part, but I do luck out occasionally...

...These old toothbrush fixtures were gonna be tossed in the compactor. I immediately saw the potential, and asked for them. They're stackable, light weight, and can hold up to 120 different kinds of glass, and best of all: They were FREE!!! :D :D :D

...Just finished pulling out the toothbrush holders and loaded some of the slots with my BE glass...
So, these were either really big toothbrushes, or those are really small sheets of glass? \:D/

Nice find!

I may have been the glass crashing, sad and terrified, then frustrated and mad person who Jackie is referring to, but there have been others. I had stacked all of my glass from my shipment...a full crate (40 plus full sheets) into the slots in a system that was jury rigged to store my glass vertically. The sides of the cabinets were pushed out by the weight of the glass and the upper shelves dropped, crashing onto the lower shelves. All my glass was in shards...all of it. :-&
Miraculously...no blood was shed.

I made some pretty interesting work from that glass. Necessity is the Mother of Invention and all that.
skin_mechanic

Post by skin_mechanic »

The units have some flex alone, but when they're stacked they lock into each other and are quite stable. That being said, I won't stack them more than 3 high, I don't wanna do confetti bowls just yet :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd like to place them side by side on a long shelf, but there's no shelving in the immediate area, just peg board covering every vertical surface :? Hmmmm, I'll have to do some head scratchin' over this, ya'lls horror stories are makin' me kinda paranoid :shock: On a related note, last Fall our Jewlery dept. was doing a remodel and I got 3 Lazy Susan lexan watch display cases... Free, of course :lol: :lol: :lol: I brought 'em home not knowing what use they would be, I'm sure I can McGyver some kinda warm glass display, maybe for wire wrapped jewlery or paper weights.
gone

Post by gone »

That looks too perfect! You didn't cut sheets to fit your storage, did you? Mine are in so many different sizes and shapes that it's impossible to make it look tidy.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Now that you mention it, Jim and Cynthia, I remember that happening to Cynthia too. But the time I was thinking of, it was a different person. I think it was prior to Cynthia's accident, because I remember the horror of the mere idea of it that I felt at the time this woman posted, so I doubt I had heard of anything like it before. What made it so exceptionally heart-wretching was that she was about ready to throw in the towel after the incident. I'll have to go search the old archives or it will drive me nuts! I hope she's wildly successful now, all because she had to think of a way to make lots of beautiful work with that pile of shards - just like Cynthia. (Personally, shards work well for me too)
skin_mechanic

Post by skin_mechanic »

They're the standard 10" square sheets. Note the uniform size :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm still experimenting with float glass, cause I don't feel confident enough to work with the good stuff yet. Oh well, it's ONLY glass :D Maybe I need to take the plunge and fuse some coasters. Of course, that's why I burn MP3 disks... to make coasters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Skin_Mechanic wrote:They're the standard 10" square sheets.
A bit of math for you Joseph:

Density of glass is 1.62 lbs/sqft of single 3mm (1/8") glass. You have 10" sq sheets so each sheet will weigh about 1.125lbs. Looking at your racks you have 20 bins/rack so if each bin had one sheet in them you'd have 22.5lbs/rack. If you stack them 3 high, the load on the bottom rack is minimal from itself as it supported from the ground but it has 45 lbs from above on just a single sheet fill. For 2 sheets/slot you are up to 90lbs. If you have a 50lbs bag of something lying around your garage, set it on top of an empty bin and see how it holds up. My guess is you don't want to go much more than 2 sheets/bin. You might do better stacking them say 2 high on the ground if you want to load them up more. I'd be real worried about a lateral accidential hit from the side that would cause the whole shebang to come crashing down and giving you an new opportunity to try your hand at frit painting.

Phil
skin_mechanic

Post by skin_mechanic »

Ok, now you've got me scared :shock: :shock: :shock: I think I'll go line 'em up neatly across one of my work stations. I'm using one area to cut the glass, and the 2nd area to paint, while the 3rd area is piled high with crap :lol: :lol: :lol: If I put the glass storage bins in the 3rd area, I'll have no choice but to start throwing my crap in the garbage can :D
bernie

Re: I like to score...

Post by bernie »

Sorry Skin Mechanic but, I think that cool freebie of yours is going to cost
you big bucks if you stack them 3 high. I wouldn't be too cool with stacking even the second layer. If its space you're saving - build sturdy
work type shelves wide enough and stack the boxes 1 high on each shelf.
May be overkill but, you're going to hate it if that glass can't support the
weight of the box sitting on top of it - you probably won't know for sure until you start removing some glass from the lower boxes and you have less glass to support this.Besides that - Ever been in an earthquake and watched glass thats installed in your house rock and roll. Scarry! Bernie
Skin_Mechanic wrote:...Working retail sucks for the most part, but I do luck out occasionally...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...I'm gloating right now :lol: :lol: :lol: Inspiration can come from the craziest places.