BE thinfire shelf paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Alaska

BE thinfire shelf paper

Post by Alaska »

I have a new kiln that has side heating elements in addition to elements on top. When I fire to full fuse using BE thinfire shelf paper, the paper splits underneath the glass. Also, if I leave extra paper around the sides of the glass, it folds over onto the top of the glass. My old kiln, which only had top elements never did this. Any idea why these things are happening?
Alaska

Post by Alaska »

Hi Jane
Alaska

Post by Alaska »

Hi Jane
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

The old thinfire - which is all I have ever used - shrinks.

You need to leave a good margin around your work, a couple of inches all around, and anchor it down with some small kiln furniture at the corners and mid way along the edges too dependent upon how large your surface is (bits scrap glass works too...just be sure it's a good 1/2" away from your piece, or it will get pulled into the work as the paper shrinks). For larger work, it's just going to tear underneath no matter what. At least I haven't figured out a way around it. You can sprinkle the surface of the paper with some talc or dry primer to allow the glass to glide as the paper shrinks, but it may still tear.

The new thinfire doesn't shrink. I don't know if it curls up or not. If you aren't heavily invested in the old stuff...try the new.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i only used thinfire for a short while, when i was having problems with large bubbles forming under my glass. i had the same experience of it tearing because of the glass moving. i used two sheets of it a few times, which worked. i only left a margin of about an inch around the perimeter of my piece, and had little pieces of triangular kiln furniture as weights.

eventually i quit using thinfire altogether -- i figured out that i had a warped kiln shelf. when i bought a new shelf the bubble problem vanished. i still have about 75 sheets of the thinfire ... live and learn.
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

I have been using the new thinfire since last summer. I have never had a problem I use it with small pieces as well as larger ones that are 10" x 8"
pictures. I cut the edges at an angle and anchor them with glass. The paper has never split or curled on me. I have a Skutt with top and side elements.

paulajane
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

BE's new thinfire is excellent stuff! It performs brilliantly, I've not had any problems whatsoever (and I've nearly finished the roll). I highly recommend it...

Catharine
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

The new thin fire does not curl up or shrink. While it does not tear, it will wrinkle in the center of bigger pieces, a foot square and up or so. It is dense enough to cause bubble problems and it will also plug up a vaccuum filter about five times as fast as the old stuff. In spite of all that, I prefer it to the old.
Catharine Newell

Tony Serviente wrote:The new thin fire does not curl up or shrink. While it does not tear, it will wrinkle in the center of bigger pieces, a foot square and up or so. It is dense enough to cause bubble problems and it will also plug up a vaccuum filter about five times as fast as the old stuff. In spite of all that, I prefer it to the old.
Tony,

I wonder why you're having a problem with wrinkling??? I consistently fire panels 35x17 and have not had any experience with wrinkles...

Catharine
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

What is your firing surface, and are you going to full fuse?
Catharine Newell

Tony,

I use a fibreboard shelf and do go to full fuse: 1480 degs for 20 mins... using both opals and transparents. Never had a whit of wrinkling! What do YOU use? Are you always firing at least 1/4" thickness? Wondering about glass shrinkage...

Catharine
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I think the fiberboard is the reason. I fire almost exclusively on mullite, and sometimes on stainless. Fusings are two layers and up, so glass shrinkage isn't the issue. How is your fiberboard holding up, and old is it?