Stiff Black

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Amy on Salt Spring

Stiff Black

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Just got my BE catalog today (finally). After going through it about 10 times I was actually able to settle down and really look at everything. Since I have a fondness for black and white pieces I was very interested in the new Stiff Black available. I'm wondering if anyone has used it yet and if so what they thought of it. They say its not as soft as regular black--I'm wondering what it does at different temps and is it more resistant to kiln wash sticking than the regular black? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Amy
gone

Post by gone »

I think it will be nice for textured pieces (in the kiln) and for a satin finish when used with other colors. I don't care for the way the black is always a little shinier.
Marty

Post by Marty »

It doesn't bleed like the soft black, viscosity is closer to the opals, so you'll get a crisper edge between the colors. It's nice to have another tool in the box.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I'm getting the impression its only for pieces that are full fused--not for anything sintered or in between sintering and full fuse. I mean at what temp. does its edges soften? If the only benefit is that it doesn't bleed--that isn't an issue in anything less than full fuse.
-A
P.S.Why will it be less shiny Els?
Last edited by Amy on Salt Spring on Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

It will be less shiney because:

If you've fused and sandblasted and want to keep a matte finish during a low firepolish or slump, you may fire to 1150. Els is saying that when the rest of the glass is where she wants it, the black begins to shine up again.