Cabinet draw handles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rob Morey

Cabinet draw handles

Post by Rob Morey »

Hi all,
I just returned from a meeting with a client. I am working on about 5 projects with them. One of the projects are cabinet panels for their bathroom. They also want drawer pulls that match. I made the glass and they love it, want it…… like yesterday. My problem is how to attach the glass to the hardware. The design is transparent and they do not want to see bolts inside the glass. I could drill through the glass and just put a spacer between the glass and wood, but that isn’t ideal. What I am looking for is some way to attach the glass to a metal plate, maybe like you jewelry people do, wrapping some metal around the edge. Then epoxy the glass to the metal. Does this make sense? Is there a vendor or a supplier somewhere that anyone might know where I could buy such a thing, actually I need around 30 of them.

Thanks,
Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Ron Coleman posted a source for drawer pulls a few months ago. I wasn't able to find it, but you might email him.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Re: Cabinet draw handles

Post by Bert Weiss »

Rob Morey wrote:Hi all,
I just returned from a meeting with a client. I am working on about 5 projects with them. One of the projects are cabinet panels for their bathroom. They also want drawer pulls that match. I made the glass and they love it, want it…… like yesterday. My problem is how to attach the glass to the hardware. The design is transparent and they do not want to see bolts inside the glass. I could drill through the glass and just put a spacer between the glass and wood, but that isn’t ideal. What I am looking for is some way to attach the glass to a metal plate, maybe like you jewelry people do, wrapping some metal around the edge. Then epoxy the glass to the metal. Does this make sense? Is there a vendor or a supplier somewhere that anyone might know where I could buy such a thing, actually I need around 30 of them.

Thanks,
Rob
Lee Valley Tools. The URL is in the archives in several different postings. They sell a stainless steel cylinder that has a good surface to epoxy to.

I am awaiting some Dichro to make my pulls but they will be on black glass so I plan to use PC 7 to adhere them. For transparent glass you can use a clear epoxy or maybe a UV glue. The cylinders are at work on my cabinets without glass. They're great.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Here's a link to some brass pulls I remember at Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page. ... 1306,41322
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bert