Using fiber board for the 1st time

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Using fiber board for the 1st time

Post by quill »

I am planning on using some 3/8" fiber board for my first drop rings. I have not used it before & even though I have been told how to use it, am having amnesia about a few things.

1. Do I have to kiln wash it first?

2. Can I stack it to make a deeper drop?

3.Do I have to weight it so that the glass does not creep under the edges?

4. How many times is it likely I will be able to reuse it?

5. Am I asking too many questions?

Any instruction will be much appreciated.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

3/8" fiber board is very thin and weak. It can EASILY be broken. I have used 1/2" and 1". My 1" easily broke.

You make the drop deeper by raising the drop ring.

You can rigidize or kiln wash or not.

The glass will fall through naturally, relative to the temperature. If you do not have enough overhang, the glass will fall through. I have had a few happy accidents when I caught it in time, and a few not so happy ones as well. Remember that you can trim the glass with a glass cutter after it is cooled.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks for the response, Bert. I might have asked the wrong questions.

I am planning to use the fiberboard flat on my kilnshelf, not raised, to slump my glass on. Just cutting out a hole in the middle & slumping it the depth of the board, maybe the depth of two bards if I stacked it.

Will this be any problem strengthwise doing this?
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

You can just put chunks of board under your ring to raise it, or kiln posts. You don't need to worry about the glass creeping under the edge of the board if you leave it flat on the shelf cause you're not going to fire it high enough for it to really flow, are you? If you fire too hot, then the edge that drops over the rim will get too thin and all the glass will end up in a thick pool in the hole. Or if the ring is raised, then the bottom of the piece will be bigger than the hole and you will break the ring getting it out.

You do need to watch the slump if the ring is raised, at least until you have done a bunch of them and know what to expect.

The thin board should be OK (even propped on kiln posts) if it's not supporting a huge piece of glass. It's probably 1/2" board (which measures a little less). Just handle it carefully. Most times it's rough handling outside of the kiln that damages the board.
froggee501

Post by froggee501 »

quill wrote:I am planning to use the fiberboard flat on my kilnshelf, not raised, to slump my glass on. Just cutting out a hole in the middle & slumping it the depth of the board, maybe the depth of two bards if I stacked it.

Will this be any problem strengthwise doing this?
Got it! No, you shouldn't have any problem at all. Your first post did sound like you were talking about drop rings, but this sounds more like kilncarving.

In this case, you should have absolutely no problem! I don't believe you have to weight it at all... The only case in which you might have a problem is if you are taking this up to full fuse, but it doesn't sound like you are doing this.

The following link is a pdf file on Kilncarving, found at Bulleye's site:
http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/pdfs/ ... eet_01.pdf

Yes, you can stack the boards to make it deeper, and no, you don't need to kiln wash it.

It may be possible to reuse it, particularly as you have a thicker version than I do, but I must warn you that it will be difficult... The binder will have burned out and the board will be rather soft and easy to tear... I've never reused it.

Emma