shelf question for pot melt asap?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

shelf question for pot melt asap?

Post by slats »

want to put in a pot melt his am....ready to go but I see i dont have enough height (pot from shelf) my kiln is not deep. can i put shelf on floor of kiln?
Brock

Re: shelf question for pot melt asap?

Post by Brock »

doctac wrote:want to put in a pot melt his am....ready to go but I see i dont have enough height (pot from shelf) my kiln is not deep. can i put shelf on floor of kiln?
Yes. Ensure levelifity, and anneal longer. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Not sure I completely understand your setup. In deep I believe you are refering to height? On a typical potmelt you have your pot, supported up
in some method. The hole in the pot drips the glass to something to catch the glass, either a stainless plate or a kilnshelf. If your question is can you put the shelf on the bottom of the kiln, I see not problem as long as the entire assembly fits inside your kiln. Since you are doing a pot melt, that the
pot is high and close to the top should not be a problem. The glass will probably be a fair amount hotter than what your thermocouple reads but I don't see that as an issue. You just want to make sure that what you "drip" onto is kilnwashed and flat. Also you want to be sure it is contained, ie, you've calculated with the weight of the glass how much it will flow and that the shelf will accomodate the glass without overflowing over the edges. If not you may wish to contain the glass by using bricks lined in fiberpaper or a stainless ring if you have one.

Let me know if this does not answer you question.

Phil
slats

shelf

Post by slats »

much thanks for the quick reply...........yes you answered my question...now back to work..........thanks