stepping stone sealant, but not for a stepping stone

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AVLucky

stepping stone sealant, but not for a stepping stone

Post by AVLucky »

I bought a cool little patio table last year with a table surface made of grouted agate and other banded rock slices. Unfortunately, it didn't handle the winter weather too well, and the surface has dulled out considerably, and little flecks of rock have started to pop out. Can anyone recommend a sealant, possibly one for stepping stones or other outdoor mosaics, that might protect the surface and hold everything together?

Thanks,
Amy
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Or what about something like polyurethane?
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

This sounds like from your description that it possibly had a sealer that gave sheen to both the agates and/or rocks prior to your purchasing. It possibly could have been a polyurehtane. A polyurethane will trap moisture under the surface, discolor and deteriorate quite rapidly when exposed to outside elements. Try an epoxy based resin or clear casting resin. There is also a concrete sealer available at the hardware stores but this will not put a sheen back on the rocks or prevent them from falling out. These are only my suggestions. Next...
SunToys
Clifford Ross

Steppers

Post by Clifford Ross »

AV- Put about 5 coats od cheap concrete sealer on them. 8-[
Cliff Ross
Valerie

2 part stuff

Post by Valerie »

what about Liquidfusion?
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?pa ... o=itemList
I used something similar ...different brand name for my mosaic trays
works great. I have seen patio tables finished in it.
I could look up the brand I used if you like
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Try the concrete sealant, or check with a local tile store for a grout sealer. Sealants don't last forever and will need to be re-applied periodically. However, it is probably the cold weather which is making the pieces pop out, so bring it indoors for the winter.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
charlie

Re: 2 part stuff

Post by charlie »

Valerie wrote:what about Liquidfusion?
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?pa ... o=itemList
I used something similar ...different brand name for my mosaic trays
works great. I have seen patio tables finished in it.
I could look up the brand I used if you like
i'm not sure you can use liquifusion in the sunlight.

you can get pretty much the same stuff directly from the manufacturers. west marine makes something quite similar, if not the same thing.