Fusion 10 help, please!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Valerie Adams

Fusion 10 help, please!

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've spent hours searching the archives, to no avail.

I'm fairly new to fusing. I have a Paragon Fusion 10, and wonder if anyone else using the same kiln would be willing to share their schedule with me.

I'm trying to achieve an extremely flat full fuse to medium size pieces (12" squares, etc.) No matter how many tests I do, I always seem to have some "waviness" to the surface.

My goal is a smooth, flat piece without blobbing the edges.

Paragon's rep told me to fire to 1425 with a 30 minute hold. My last test was firing to 1470 with a 15 minute hold.

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Valerie
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

I dont know kind of glass you use -- I find that most glass is flat at 1525
15--20 min hold I do large and small rounds and find this to be the temp=
Also your glass has to have a base thick enough to let the new glass in.
Have Fun Good Luck and Let me know
SunToys
froggee501

Post by froggee501 »

How thick are you trying to make these pieces?
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

If you want your glass to be flat at a full fuse, you have to fire at least two full thickness pieces of glass (not thin). Glass wants to be a quarter of an inch thick. If you give it less than a quarter of an inch to work with, it will pull in and up to a quarter inch, and you are likely to get some waviness. Two sheets thick are approximately 1/4 inch.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I guess I should have given more info (sorry!)

I am using at least two layers of Bullseye 3mm, and if I use glass for a third layer of accents, it may be regular thickness or thin.

I was initially fusing most everything at 1425 with a 30 minute hold, with pretty consistent results. As my kiln has become broken in (it's about 6 months old), it seems to have cooled a bit. I'm taking things up to 1470 with a 12 minute hold, and I'm almost where I want to be. 1470 with a 15 minute hold seemed to "blob" the edges, and the thin accent pieces (3rd layer) looked a bit too cooked...

I know the answer is to keep experimenting, but I'm just hoping to try a formula that someone else is successfully using in the same kiln...
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

over two layers brings in the volume control issue. Some glass leaves ripples on full fuse. When l want a really flat surface, I fire face down and then flip over. Fire polish if you want it shiny. For the edges, you need to cold work if you want the edge even and not wavy.

Dick