UGH - Devitrification!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim A.

UGH - Devitrification!!

Post by Kim A. »

Hello,

I am new to glass fusing and new to the warm glass bulletin boards. I can see that this will be a great place to learn and share information.

I hope someone can answer a couple questions for me on devitrification. I fused a kiln full of small jewelry pieces. I was using scraps from my husband's stained glass rather than fusible glass. All the pieces have devitrification "glaze" on them. I've never had this happen with BE fusible glass. Is it different using stained glass (art glass)? I only fused it to itself so no coefficienty problems.

I read where devitrification happens when the temperature is held at just under the fusing temperature. I didn't hold the temperature, but also didn't vent the kiln to quick cool. Would it have been better to quick cool down to the annealing temp?

Is there any way to save these pieces of glass by refusing, or coating them with something?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to learning lots and sharing ideas with you all!

Kim
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

A lot of stained glass is susceptible to devit. You would have to sandblast and refire.