Etching vs. sandblasting for small pieces

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Etching vs. sandblasting for small pieces

Post by quill »

I noticed a lot of info on sandblasting fused glass but not a lot about using etching liquid or cream to matte the surface. I use this this a lot for beads & am using it for small cabs (I just have a small kiln, 6" by 6".)

Is there any reason it is not used more? I can see it wouldn't be very practical for large pieces but sandblasting does not seem practical for very small ones.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Hi Quill,

I guess it's a matter of preference. I do a lot of small detail blasting through surface coatings such as mica, which etching cream won't touch, and dichroic and iridize coatings which it will. But I also use sandblasting to reshape a piece, remove sharp edges and remove kilnwash and other defects, none of which can be done with Armour etch. If I was only looking to make a piece turn frosted, without trying to affect the texture, I suppose I could use an etching cream.... but I want more...

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
quill

Post by quill »

I never thought of sandblasting to remove sharp edges or reshape a piece. Do you reheat the piece after, if you want a shiny surface?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Yes, absolutely.

After sandblasting, to bring everything back to a uniform glossy finish, I bring the piece up to 1450 for 20 minutes.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun