New forums!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brad Walker
Site Admin

New forums!

Post by Brad Walker »

At the risk of totally overwhelming everyone, I've added two new forums, one for kiln casting and one for business topics.

If you wish to see all the forums merged into one, just click on the "View posts since last visit" button at the top right of the Forum Index page and you'll see everything merged together.
Last edited by Brad Walker on Fri May 16, 2003 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

I'm overwhelmed totally..now the problem is where should one start.....on this warmglass adventure ...of knowledge fun and information...Colin
Dani

Post by Dani »

What a question! With Spab's Place, of course!! :wink:
Brock

Post by Brock »

Or the classifieds. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Dani

Post by Dani »

Brad, what do you think about adding another forum for teaching-related conversation? It's become such an issue and it's a recurring theme. Just a thought.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Or a professional board? Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Oh, I like that idea, Brock! A professional board....

Catharine
Dani

Post by Dani »

Criteria? Earn 50% or more of your income from the sale of glass? That's always one of the sticking points... how to define the term. I find it curious that there isn't a forum strictly for professionals in glass. Maybe it's because folks are too busy working to avail themselves of it on a regular basis.... I dunno.
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Hmmmmm....pro's, newbies & something n-tweeners forums?

It's a great idea Brock. Maybe even an old-timers forum.

How do we do this?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Given the fairly large quantity of newcomer posts we've been having lately, it certainly makes sense to have a newcomer board. That seems straightforward, but I'm not sure how other boards would work (or how to segment things). Anybody have any suggestions?
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Brad Walker wrote:Given the fairly large quantity of newcomer posts we've been having lately, it certainly makes sense to have a newcomer board. That seems straightforward, but I'm not sure how other boards would work (or how to segment things). Anybody have any suggestions?
The new boards do give U a bit more help having there own moderators

But 4 me much of my technology does not fit in a box

I kinda

Mix n Match tm

I use the read new posts anyway

MayB make the FAQ a bit easier 2 C 4 the newbies / wannab's

If ur new it does not show up clearly

MayB have FAQ on home page then poss in the big bit next 2 tutorial ??

If U wanna go down the New Board ( or something )

First sticky post could mention go 2 FAQ, do a search, read tutorial B4 posting ??

Why we got so many new people on all of a sudden ?

Is there some special offer I have missed ?
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

Brad Walker wrote:Given the fairly large quantity of newcomer posts we've been having lately, it certainly makes sense to have a newcomer board. That seems straightforward, but I'm not sure how other boards would work (or how to segment things). Anybody have any suggestions?
The current forum segregation is by subject. Adding more subjects would allow a reader to better focus on subjects of personal interest to them or avoid subjects that were not personally of interest. Possible topics such as:

"What's the best source for......?" type questions.

"What's the best.......to buy?" type questions

Jewelry related topics. Or pot melts. Or sandblasting.

Or anything else that seems to have enough frequency of occurance to be worth it.

But experienced based or self-defined intensity of media involvement based segregation will be difficult. Even for a newbie forum.

If I am a newbie, and there is a newbie forum, do I feel safe there or getto-ized? If I am a seasoned fusing professional just getting started in casting on what board do I post my questions. If I am a newbie wanting to advance my knowledge level by reading the intermediate forum and I have a question raised by a thread there, where do I post it?

If I post on forums that imply a higher level of experience or intensity of involvement, doesn't that at least dilute whatever the purpose was in establishing the categories?

If there are subjects or questions that would be primarily of interest to a professional, why not raise them under the current board format? There doesn't seem to be a structural impediment to doing it, so the hesitancy must arise from something else.

Let me not put words in anyone else's mouth or imply others feel this way, but I think the problem is that topics of professional interest expressed from a professional viewpoint have in the past ruffled feathers and provoked a backlash. I doubt that a professional forum will eliminate that, though it might help.

A better approach would be a different strokes for different folks attitude on the board, but, Brad, I don't think that is any easier a task.

Jerry
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i think that the board is fragmented enough as it is. directing newbie Q's to the turtorial or archives will work i think. rosanna
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I don't get it. I think we have a professional board, which is the reason we "old timers" hang out here.

If we had a newbie board, then only newbies would answer newbie questions. This would be much like taking a course from an ignorant teacher, which we just trashed over and over.

If you want to avoid questions about bubbles or thinfire, it is not difficult. Likewise if you want to chat about your favorite movies, we have that corner also.

I think that the board is doing just fine.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Deb Libby

Post by Deb Libby »

Let me not put words in anyone else's mouth or imply others feel this way, but I think the problem is that topics of professional interest expressed from a professional viewpoint have in the past ruffled feathers and provoked a backlash. I doubt that a professional forum will eliminate that, though it might help.
I think Jerry makes a good point here .... professional viewpoints are often going to be quite different than those of a hobbyist, or someone supplemented with $$$ from an outside source. But this has been the case ever since I joined so, when a question is asked and there is a difference of opinion, I weigh out who is answering and whether that person works with the same constraints or situations I do.

My solution to this has been to read topic areas of interest (especially the new Business forum...thanks, Brad & Geri) and avoid other topic areas such as Thinfire, Bubbles. I sometimes feel that if I read another rehash of Thinfire, or BE vs Spec. that I'll scream; however, I also recognize that my avoidance of those topics does a disservice to the new fusers .... they are looking to "old timers" for some assistance so that they don't become frustrated and give up. Most days, I'm so busy that I can only scan quickly for areas of interest ..... while a professional forum would create yet another area to check out, it might keep all the info. of interest to a particular group in one place just as the Business Forum has done. I check that one out first every day and, then if time allows, go on to check the general discussion area. Just my thoughts/mumblings for what they're worth .....
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Jerry Barnett wrote:...experienced based or self-defined intensity of media involvement based segregation will be difficult. Even for a newbie forum...

If I am a newbie, and there is a newbie forum, do I feel safe there or getto-ized? If I am a seasoned fusing professional just getting started in casting on what board do I post my questions. If I am a newbie wanting to advance my knowledge level by reading the intermediate forum and I have a question raised by a thread there, where do I post it?...
Jerry
I can just see it now. I post on the professional forum, and someone is bound to question my claim as a professional. Ones standard of what a professional is, isn't going to fit everyone who views themselves as a professional. How would A Professional be defined? By years in the business, level of accomplishment, or how many individual shows and in what galleries? How about formal art education or sessions at Pilchuck or Corning? Do you make your living at this work? How much of your income is derived from you work as a professional artist?...Do we need to post resumes, or would our self definition of being a professional count? I would not feel safe in an environment where we start segregating the contributors into categories.
Strega

Post by Strega »

Bert Weiss wrote: If we had a newbie board, then only newbies would answer newbie questions. This would be much like taking a course from an ignorant teacher, which we just trashed over and over....

I think that the board is doing just fine.
As a quasi newbie, I have to agree with this. A Qand A section might be nice if you had several moderators to share the load of answering, but how do youd define "newbie" and "Pro"? I've been playing around with melted glass for a year. I've sold a couple little simple things ... technically that makes me a pro. I've even given other people simple advice on the hobby e-group I'm on (mostly to have fun, and to come here!) But I feel in awe of the gods on this site! :lol:
Oh, wait, maybe it's my fault you got all these new people. oops! sorry! :oops:
Candy Kahn

Post by Candy Kahn »

I have to agree with Bert as I too have considered this board a "professional" forum. Sure there are newbie questions over and over as the board becomes more well known. But, remember we have all had to struggle through these in the past and we didn't have the good fortune to have this board. Luckily for me I had a professional that was my mentor that I could make a quick call to to discuss my problem/s when I was first starting out. I believe the strength of this board lies in the fact that noone has ever sounded to me that they were "too good" to help others. Through reading the answers to questions on this board I have gained much respect for those who take the time to answer the newbie or point them to the archives - as well as the "professional" questions. And, some of these newbies can become wonderful artists and might discover new techniques that they can share down the line.

Well, enough of my soap box - I think there are enough forums to read.

Candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

I agree with Bert's post completely. It's like...I don't consider myself an artist. (creative, yes; artist, no). So any further categorization is self-dictated and self-limiting. We're smart enough to bypass a post that doesn't interest us, and smart enough to know where we can learn (and teach) also. - Barbara
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Candy,

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have great respect for all the
members of this board. One quality that sets this board apart from
others is the spirit of friendliness, cooperation, and willingness to
share information with others. Each one of us was a newbie at one
time, and I certainly wish I had had this board when I started.

I have been fusing and selling glass for over 20 years. Does that make
me a professional? I do not make half of my income from my glass
because I have a husband who has always taken good care of me.
Does that make me a non-professional?

Some of the newbies' questions make me stop and think and see some
glass technique in a different light. It is so exciting to see some of
them begin to "sprout their wings" and "do great things" such as the
former hobbyist Jim Wolverton. I could name many more who have
done the same thing.

I'm just learning to navigate the new board, so please don't confuse
my little brain any more. I am glad that we again can read everything
posted since our last visit. I do not want to be segragated from other
glassies just because our glass income, depth of knowledge, and experience may differ. Let's not fix something that isn't broken.

Thank you, Brad, for trying so hard to please everyone. Maybe your
middle name should be Solomon.

Warmly,
Nita