Thin fire question.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jason Boebinger

Thin fire question.

Post by Jason Boebinger »

I got this thin fire shelf paper from ed hoy that is more smooth than what I was getting from them, I heard that there was a new shelf paper from bullseye ,but they say is not smooth on both sides, ed hoy's is. This stuff looks and feels like a drawing paper, really smooth. Has anyone tried this stuff?
Dianne Van de Carr

Post by Dianne Van de Carr »

I've just tried the new Thin Fire and love it! It didn't shrink like the old Thin Fire. The back of my piece was very smooth. What a great improvement!
Dianne VdC
Phil Brown

Post by Phil Brown »

Jason,
I'm curious what the results were using that paper. You're saying "thin fire", but is it Bullseye Thinfire? I got a couple of sheets of Bullseye Thinfire a few weeks ago and it must have been the old stuff- it shrunk 1.5" across a 14" span, completelyseparated in several places across the span and much of what was left looked like little balls which disintegrated to dust on picking the glass up, all of which the glass clearly showed in great detail. Really messed up some windows I was making. Luckily the shelf was washed underneath and didn't ruin that too. I was like "What the...??" (not my exact words). It sure looked nice and smooth before I fired it though and would have been a godsend on certain projects. Now I'm a little gun shy AND wouldn't know if I'm getting the old or new - how do you tell? Suppliers may still be selling the old obviously. Afterwards I searched and read about a shrinking problem but this was way beyond what I'd call a minor shrinking problem.

badpaperboy
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Phil, send me your mailing address and I'll have some of the new ThinFire sent out to you. I think that our tests have shown it to shrink less than 2%. But you should try it yourself. Lani
gone

Post by gone »

Lani McGregor wrote:Phil, send me your mailing address and I'll have some of the new ThinFire sent out to you. I think that our tests have shown it to shrink less than 2%. But you should try it yourself. Lani
Lani, is there any way to tell the old from the new for sure? Something like a product number? Or is it so different in appearance that I'll be able to tell? I buy from NW art Glass.

Els

Thanks for asking about the quotes. I hadn't figured it out either. :oops:
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Els VandenEnde wrote:Lani, is there any way to tell the old from the new for sure? Something like a product number? Or is it so different in appearance that I'll be able to tell? I buy from NW art Glass.

Els

Thanks for asking about the quotes. I hadn't figured it out either. :oops:
Els, I don't think that the look is dramatically different..and I'm not aware of it having product numbers.

But tomorrow I'll ask Juanita (who handles the NW account) whether they've gotten the new stuff yet. Or send me your address and we'll send you out a sample of the new and you can compare it with what you've got.

Lani (luvvvvving my new Quote Box skills! Thanks, Tony!)
tom suter

Thin Fire

Post by tom suter »

I have not seen the new thin fire but was told by BE that it would have both a smooth and a rougher surface on the back side. Tom
Marc Demian

new thinfire

Post by Marc Demian »

I just got a note from Bulleseye re. the new thinfire. They say it doesn't have a distinguishing item number, but says "New and Improved" on the front wrapper. It should be in stock at C&R Loo acording to them. Or it can be had from the Bullseye Connection. Marc
Doug

Post by Doug »

OK....Here's my evaluation on the new and improved thinfire. Ive been using this new product for almost 2 weeks now and have run it through all my different modes of fireing, full fuse, high fire, tack and firepolish. This stuff really passes the test. I got about 1/2 in shrinkage with the worst case senario and less with the other fireings. There was no sign of cracking at all, which was my major problem when fireing thick, large panels. It seems to be a lot smoother than the origional paper as it feels almost like copy paper. I'll give this product a thumbs up. \:D/
Phil Brown

Post by Phil Brown »

Lani McGregor wrote:Phil, send me your mailing address and I'll have some of the new ThinFire sent out to you. I think that our tests have shown it to shrink less than 2%. But you should try it yourself. Lani
Thanks Lani! I'll take you up on that. It's nice you're on here responding to these things. I'll probably buy a whole roll if it works as well for me as it is for the folks posting here. Thanks everyone for reporting the results.
Phil