Hi fire technique

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Luiza

Hi fire technique

Post by Luiza »

Can someone be so kind to give me some directions to learn about this Hi fire technique? I´ve never heard of it. Any link? Any book?
Thanks
Luiza
charlie

Post by charlie »

build some dams in the shape you want. fill with scrap, frit, stringers, etc. bake at 1600 for a couple of hours. anneal for a thick piece. remove.

you might want to line the dams and build on fiber paper to prevent sticking.
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Thanks Charlie
As I use float, I imagine that I must use 1700 .
I cant´t wait to try. Need more kilns, so many new options... :lol: :lol:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Hi fire technique

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Luiza wrote:Can someone be so kind to give me some directions to learn about this Hi fire technique? I´ve never heard of it. Any link? Any book?
Thanks
Luiza
One thing U gotta watch out 4 if lots glass is the glass pushing the sides out

I wedge 2 the sides of the kiln

But I always got a bit of fibre 4 expansion

Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Hello all- at the high temps y'all melt at , what do you use for separator? :?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Some people use kiln wash, some people use fiber paper. It's and experience thing and really depends on if you are using opals or catherdrals and if you have a sand blaster.

Amy
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Speaking of sandblasters--how much does a sandblaster setup cost--nothing fancy, just one capable of getting kiln wash off the back of things or maybe creating a matte finish? I know there are probably a lot of variables as far as cost is concered, but are we talking like $200 range or $800 range or $1500 range?
-Amy
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I got my set up in the $800 range. It's a cabinet, pressure pot, and foot switch.

Amy
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Luiza wrote:Thanks Charlie
As I use float, I imagine that I must use 1700 .
I cant´t wait to try. Need more kilns, so many new options... :lol: :lol:
Luiza

Be aware that float glass does not have the flow properties that Bulleseye glass has. It needs at least 80 degrees more heat to soften than Bullseye and even then will not behave the same.

Bert
Bob

Post by Bob »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Speaking of sandblasters--how much does a sandblaster setup cost--nothing fancy, just one capable of getting kiln wash off the back of things or maybe creating a matte finish? I know there are probably a lot of variables as far as cost is concered, but are we talking like $200 range or $800 range or $1500 range?
-Amy
Hi Amy,

I got my sandblaster setup from House of Tools and Princess Auto. I imagine one of these stores is in Victoria (for sure in Vancouver).Compressor, cabinet (siphon feed), hoses, water trap came to under $1000Can. Works just fine. I can always add a pressure pot later if I need it .

Cheers

Bob
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Bob wrote:
Hi Amy,

I got my sandblaster setup from House of Tools and Princess Auto. I imagine one of these stores is in Victoria (for sure in Vancouver).Compressor, cabinet (siphon feed), hoses, water trap came to under $1000Can. Works just fine. I can always add a pressure pot later if I need it .

Cheers

Bob
Thanks for the Canadian pricing. I'll look and see if either of those places are in Victoria (an enormously easier trip for us than going to Vancouver). Hmmm... compresser and hoses I recognize, "siphon feed", "water trap" and "pressure pot" are new terms for me. I'll go take a look at the archives.
-Amy
Bob

Post by Bob »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:
Bob wrote:
Hi Amy,

Cheers

Bob
Thanks for the Canadian pricing. I'll look and see if either of those places are in Victoria (an enormously easier trip for us than going to Vancouver). Hmmm... compresser and hoses I recognize, "siphon feed", "water trap" and "pressure pot" are new terms for me. I'll go take a look at the archives.
-Amy
Hi Amy,

Water trap is a small device that allows water in the pressurized air to condense before it gets into your cabinet (and possibly make the abrasive damp). I put mine on the side of the cabinet ... immediately before air goes into the cabinet. Siphon feed is the cheapest type of system. The "gun" has an air hose in the handle, and a short hose attached to the barrel of the gun. The end of the hose is buried in the abrasive. When pressurized air passes thropugh the gun it draws abrasive up the tube .

Pressure pots are a separate barrel shaped container that mixes abrasive with the pressurized air before if enters the blast cabinet. It is more efficient than a siphon system.

There that is all I know about sand blasters. The GlassStar web site has a great introduction to the components of a system.

Cheers

Bob
Cheryl

those blasted guns!

Post by Cheryl »

Are there any alternatives to the pistol-grip guns that you have to squeeze the trigger? Those just make my hands ACHE after about 30 seconds. I spent several hours sand-blasting yesterday and I swear, I'm about to file for disability!!
charlie

Re: those blasted guns!

Post by charlie »

Cheryl wrote:Are there any alternatives to the pistol-grip guns that you have to squeeze the trigger? Those just make my hands ACHE after about 30 seconds. I spent several hours sand-blasting yesterday and I swear, I'm about to file for disability!!
footswitch

i have one on my grinder, and it's saved having to replace the switch a couple times over.