Mica/Klyr fire problems

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DonMcClennen

Mica/Klyr fire problems

Post by DonMcClennen »

I'm about ready to give up on mica powders. I air brush on many coats of mica/klyr fire then find it hard to peel off my mask and retain a clean edge. The coating is sealed across the edge causing it to lift. tried running knife along edge after spraying, this helped somewhat but was very time consuming..Then when I fired it (black base glass with mica design capped with clear spaced up with chads) the mica design lifts and slightly moves in some places along edges of design before the cap has settled over and sealed it. Results are very unsatisfactory. Any suggestions for these two problems would be appreciated...Thanks Don :(
"The Glassman"
Becky Bergsma

Post by Becky Bergsma »

I think you have to fire the mica before you mask & blast.
Becky
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Don, I learned a bit about micas in a class. We airbrushed the mica on the whole surface of the base black glass and fired it, then washed the fired tile to remove all the loose mica, then applied the resist, sandblasted down to the black, removed the resist and refired to bring the blasted black back to shiny. Very clean edges, a beautiful result.

Hope this makes some sense :?
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.