Glass inserts for kitchen cabinets

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jj jacobs

Glass inserts for kitchen cabinets

Post by jj jacobs »

I'm in the process of totally remodeling my kitchen and converting my garage into a glass studio....the kitchen cabinets I'm having made will include three 19" x 35" glass panels plus two 9 3/4" x 20" panels. My plan is to either etch or sandblast a design in the glass panels that continue between the cabinets--sort of an abstract river design.

My questions are: Given the size of the glass panels, should I sandblast vs. etch the designs? (I'm looking for a light frost look vs. a deep-blasted design)

If I etch, what etching creme would you recommend?

Is it possible to get a consistent "etch" using etching creme? (my experiences haven't been too successful in that regard)

I have etched a lot in the past but have only sandblasted a couple of times. I think I'm trying to justify purchasing a new sandblasting system for my new glass studio....but am trying to be quasi-reasonable/practical, since I've already gone WAY over my initial budget.....I just read the new thread regarding sandblasters and am tempted to get the 780-TL that Tony recommends, but the width can accommodate up to 34" wide.
My panels are 35" wide--would I be able to blast them at a slant?

I would appreciate any and all input on this matter from you glass geniuses....HELP PLEASE!!!!
Nickie Jordan

sandblasting

Post by Nickie Jordan »

Hi -
Etching cream will only rough the surface; to blast or carve, you'll need abrasive and all the equipment.
Tony is a good contact - he knows what you need.
It's almost impossible to get an even etch with cream, unless you keep the areas small (1/2") - I despise the cream.
If the weather is good, don't forget, you could sandblast outdoors. In the right conditions (no close neighbors, the proper wind, no animals, the proper respirator ) lots can be accomplished, with less equipment.
Good luck - Nickie
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I agree that blasting is the way to go for this project. And if you're not set up to do this, you might be able to find a sandblaster who will do the blasting after you've cut the resist. If you can bring the glass to a blaster with the resist cut and everything masked off and ready to go, this project should only take a few minutes and should be fairly inexpensive. If you were close to western central Indiana, I'd be glad to blast these for you.
Cheryl

tool time!

Post by Cheryl »

You're in the Wroooonnnnnggggg group if you want us to dissuade you from adding to your tool collection. Just today I saw this cool cabinet that allows you to blast big panels - they don't have to fit into the cabinet - there are gaskets that allow the glass to hang out the sides. Check out the Dobbins' book for pix.

that said, you can probably rent blaster time at a local studio.
Cheryl

tool time!

Post by Cheryl »

You're in the Wroooonnnnnggggg group if you want us to dissuade you from adding to your tool collection. Just today I saw this cool cabinet that allows you to blast big panels - they don't have to fit into the cabinet - there are gaskets that allow the glass to hang out the sides. Check out the Dobbins' book for pix.

that said, you can probably rent blaster time at a local studio.
Victoria Nelson

Post by Victoria Nelson »

You might want to consider applying any etched or sandblasted decoration to the inside surface of your glass cabinet so that grease and grubby little finger prints won't be a hassle to clean!
jj jacobs

Post by jj jacobs »

My heartfelt thanks to everyone for their excellent suggestions and ideas! I knew my fellow glassies would have the right answers :D