Cloudy plate

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kay

Cloudy plate

Post by Kay »

Just finished firing a piece of float over shelf paper designs. The plate came out half clear and half cloudy. The mold was new so I used kiln wash on it. Its a BE mold with BE kilnwash. Was it a mistake to use kiln wash on the mold? Just learning. Kay
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Cloudy plate

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Kay wrote:Just finished firing a piece of float over shelf paper designs. The plate came out half clear and half cloudy. The mold was new so I used kiln wash on it. Its a BE mold with BE kilnwash. Was it a mistake to use kiln wash on the mold? Just learning. Kay
Dont quite follow this

R U asking about the clowdy ness

BE on mould is good

I am still learning as well

So dont worry
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

Kay,
I believe the reason for the cloudiness is the float glass. Float glass is made by "floating" the glass on a pool of molten steel. This leaves a film on one side of the glass. If you slump with that side up you will get the effect you are talking about. There is a way to check for the side that the glass has been floated on. I think that it involves a black light, but I can't remember for sure. Does someone else remember?
charlie

Post by charlie »

lyndasglass wrote:Kay,
I believe the reason for the cloudiness is the float glass. Float glass is made by "floating" the glass on a pool of molten steel. This leaves a film on one side of the glass. If you slump with that side up you will get the effect you are talking about. There is a way to check for the side that the glass has been floated on. I think that it involves a black light, but I can't remember for sure. Does someone else remember?
tin.

see the archives for the technique on how to determine the tin side.
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

Thanks Charlie,
Tin not steel.
Kay

cloudy plate

Post by Kay »

???? The cloudiness was just on half the plate. Kay
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

probably a cleaning issue. rosanna
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

Kay,
I don't fuse/slump with float glass. Though I have had a simular experience. Only part of the glass was cloudy. Since the mold, kiln wash and my normal cleaning procedure were the same and the only variable was the glass,(float glass instead of 90 Coe glass) my assumption was that it was this reaction to the metal exposed side of the float glass being "up"..

I do remember reading about float glass and that being a problem at times. Since I don't really use float glass I don't remember all the particulars. Charlie said that there is information in the archieves. Perhaps that would help.

Also in Brad Walkers book "Contemporary Warm Glass" page 13, he talks about float glass and devitrification. Devit. doesn't always show up evenly,(at least on my stuff it doesn't).

Good luck.

Hopefully someone that does uses float glass will comment.
Lynda
Kay

cloudy plate

Post by Kay »

Will read up and try again. This was a class I took" 1shot masterpieces". It's all done with one firing. Really no loss in glass. Thanks for your replys.Kay
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

it could also be burn out fumes from the fiberpaper. float is really sensitive to these and this also can be uneaven. make sure you vent well to about 1000f when using fiber products and organics. so how did the one shot class go? what sort of piece did you make in class? i have been curious about that one for a while. rosanna
Kay

One Shot Masterpiece

Post by Kay »

Rosanna, the class was informative and fun. Was good for me because I'm a beginner and am practicing with float. The process was done in just one firing and some nice things came out of it. First time I've tried it at home, and failed. :cry: The instructor left us with her no. and told us to call, and I've hesitated, but now I might because I'd like to try it again. Everyone on the board is so helpful thought I'd check here first. Will post again when I've talked to her and get her opinion.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

yes do report back. it was not a failure, just one step on the ole learning curve. look at it again. do you like your design? did your edges come out nice? there are probably more successesful parts than not if you look at them seperately. keep notes. rosanna