Hydrostone revisited

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lohman

Hydrostone revisited

Post by lohman »

I found a short discussion in the old archive in which Brock Craig says a mold made of Hydrostone can be used immediately. Am I correct in interpreting that to mean the mold doesn't need to dry before firing. Also Is this material suited for both open-faced molds and for lost wax molds?
Thanks
Brock

Post by Brock »

Not Hydrostone, Hydroperm. I've only used it for open face casting. It has specific mixing criteria, which when done correctly leaves the mold full of small bubbles, similar to an Aero chocolate bar. This network of bubbles allows the moisture in the mold to be vented through the mold. No 3 day air drying, no pre-firing, just cast and use. Brock
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Aero chocolate bar?

must be a Canadian thing....

smartiepants
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:Not Hydrostone, Hydroperm. I've only used it for open face casting. It has specific mixing criteria, which when done correctly leaves the mold full of small bubbles, similar to an Aero chocolate bar. This network of bubbles allows the moisture in the mold to be vented through the mold. No 3 day air drying, no pre-firing, just cast and use. Brock
Lundstrom in Book 3 "Glass Casting and Mold Making" gives detailed directions. Basically, you make a stiff neoprene rubber disc and attach it to a drill extension. You mix by moving the rubber and drill extension attached to your heavy duty spinnng drill up and down in the bucket of wet hydroperm.

I got the mixing thing down OK, but it is hard to get a nice surface with no bubbles. you have to do a skim coat first with no bubbles.

Bert
lohman

Post by lohman »

Is that skim coat hydroperm that hasn't been whipped up with the electric mixer? So then the mold doesn't need another kiln wash or other separator?
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

There is a mix sold that is called Merlin’s Mold Mix. There is no extended drying time. I’ve never used it, so I can’t tell you how it works, but I’ve been told that it does well and can be fired repeatedly. I’ve seen it in L.A. at Pacific Art Glass. They sell it in 10# and 50# bags. You need to call them for the price, 800-354-5277.

Rob