Glass stuck on the kiln shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Juhasz

Glass stuck on the kiln shelf

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Well here I am again with a real mess. I tried slumping two bottles on the same shelf. I measured to make sure there was room for them to flatten before I closed the kiln very carefully. I opened it to flash vent when I found the mess. One of the bottles had flattened and run over the edge of the shelf. :cry: It is to hot to get into the kiln yet plus I want to save the other bottle and the stuff I have on the shelf below. Don't know if the stuff (more bottles) on the bottom shelf is ruined or not since I can't see. How on earth do I get the melted glass off my shelf. It was well washed but I never wash the edges. I will in the future. Can I chip away at this glass and maybe grind it on my grinder or will I damage the shelf? Will it hurt to leave a little glass on the edge of the shelf. As you can see I have no idea what to do. This is the first disaster with my kiln. Thanks for any suggestions you have after you get done laughing at the new kid.
Nanc
Allan Gott

Post by Allan Gott »

Don't panic kiddo....all is not lost, hope the bottom shelf holds a pleasant suprise. Yes you can use your grinder on the shelf edge to clean off anything that stuck, use lots of water and go slow.
Think of it as a demonstration of how much hotter it is at the top of your kiln.

Allan
(been there done that hot glassmaker)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

be careful getting it out. it might not be stuck and you will have a cool sculpture. been there too. rosanna