Q-Bert-Commercial Brackets?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Claudia Whitten

Q-Bert-Commercial Brackets?

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Bert,

I want to know if I have this right. If I build my own hardware I need to get a UL listing. However, if I buy commercial ones, I am okay. I am planning on working with a local blacksmith this coming year.
Thanks....Claudia :roll:
Bert Weiss

Re: Q-Bert-Commercial Brackets?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Claudia Whitten wrote:Bert,

I want to know if I have this right. If I build my own hardware I need to get a UL listing. However, if I buy commercial ones, I am okay. I am planning on working with a local blacksmith this coming year.
Thanks....Claudia :roll:
Claudia

I am not a code expert. I would ask your local electrician what he thinks.

It is my take that if you use a UL listed light fixture and attach a piece of sculptural glass to the wall or ceiling, you have just attached a glass sculpture, not a light fixture.

One thing to be aware of is that a sconce is supposed to have extra shielding between the light source and the metal pan. If you buy an approved sconce, throw away the glass and attach the new glass seperately, I can't see any issues. There might be issues if you throw away the glass and replace yours on the previously approved fixture. I have done this, but I don't know the consequences.

Bert
Claudia Whitten

Thanks Bert!

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Bert,
that helped alot, I will need to get together with Bob and see what he had in mind and what he understands about all of this. I was thinking about my own home first. I wanted to take the bullseye sconce and have Bob do the decorative iron work, which would be in front of the glass. I thought that they would both be attached to the metal part. Not looking at this in front of me it's hard to know how.I am not sure how He planned on attaching them. We just threw this out to each other a couple of nights ago.He works mostly with interior designers in Sun Valley. Most work is ordered before he starts them. I work mostly with galleries so this would be good for both of us.
I don't understand the extra shielding between the light source and metal pan. What is that made of? I am sure I will understand more when I have them in front of me. Plus Bob approached me about making the glass part so I can't wait to hear more.
I have a good electrian friend , so as we progress I quess, we'll be talking with him.......Claudia