Wall pocket seperator Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joy

Wall pocket seperator Q

Post by Joy »

Hi All,

I have made a few wall pockets and I have been using the inch-thick Ceramaguard fibre board sold on this site to form the pocket. After fusing, I have to soak in water and dig the fiber board out. It's pretty tough to get it all out.

My question is, is there something else I could use so that it will slide out from between the glass after firing and then I could re-use it? What if I coated the Ceramaguard with kiln wash?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joy
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

What about 1/8th thick fiber paper stacked to the depth you want? I use that for kiln carving, underneath my glass, and it releases pretty cleanly.
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

or the ceramaguard wrapped in fiber paper. Then you should be able ot pull it out in one piece and use it more than once.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Joy

Post by Joy »

or the ceramaguard wrapped in fiber paper
Something like Thinfire? Or is there some other kind of flexable fibre paper?

Thanks!
Joy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Joy wrote:

Thanks!
Joy
You can get fiber paper in 1/8 and 1/4 thicknesses. I would think you will want something a little thicker than Thinfire to give you the buffer you want to allow you to pull out your form.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Joy wrote:

Thanks!
Joy
You can get fiber paper in 1/8 and 1/4 thicknesses. I would think you will want something a little thicker than Thinfire to give you the buffer you want to allow you to pull out your form.
lohman

Post by lohman »

I make my wall vases by stacking 2 layers of 1/4 inch and 1 layer of 1/8 inch fiber paper. I use a stiff wire to pull the fired paper out of the fused wall vases held under water. I then re-use the fired paper indefinitely to make textures on molds and shelves in other kiln projects.
Joy

Post by Joy »

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will wrap with fibre paper. Has anyone tried kiln washing the fibre board? Does it prevent sticking or does it get absorbed by the board?

Joy