Waste Glass/what to do with it?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dani

Post by Dani »

Hmmm. The thought occurs to me that one could do a pot melt right down into the flower pot tray. If the flower pot isn't kiln-washed, is it necessary to kilnwash the drip tray? Just curious.
Britestar

Post by Britestar »

Glass will stick to terra cotta - hence the use of glazes. If you don't want the glass to stick to the fired clay it has to be kiln washed.
Dani

Post by Dani »

The pot melts are also terracotta and are not kiln-washed and don't stick, thus the question. I also fire in clay molds, albeit shallow, that are not kiln-washed and my glass doesn't stick. Of course, this is at low slumping temps. However, the pot melts are quite hot. Yet, the glass still doesn't stick. Or maybe there is some residual glass in the pot... can you pot melters tell us? Thanks.

Ms. Trying-to-avoid-more-kilnwash
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Dani wrote:The pot melts are also terracotta and are not kiln-washed and don't stick, thus the question. I also fire in clay molds, albeit shallow, that are not kiln-washed and my glass doesn't stick. Of course, this is at low slumping temps. However, the pot melts are quite hot. Yet, the glass still doesn't stick. Or maybe there is some residual glass in the pot... can you pot melters tell us? Thanks.

Ms. Trying-to-avoid-more-kilnwash
The pot melts do leave a layer glass in the pots. After cooling they ping and pop for a long time as the glass shrinks and cracks. I have 2 sitting on the bench that are about 2 weeks old and still ping once in a while.

The pings give you a good scare while you're working on other glass. :shock:

I think if you wash the pots it will mix with the glass as it slides down and out. :(

Ron
tattooedpanda

what to do with your scrap

Post by tattooedpanda »

there are many of us small guys that wouls love to be able to get some of this scrap to make our jewlery :D I cannot afford to buy some of each color and I try to buy bullseye scrap when I can find it. I teach a small jewery fusing class and the small stuff works great for pins and earrings. I would say you would have no problem selling it by the pound in random mixed lots though here or on ebay you can ship up to 3 pounds anywhere in the use for $3.85 in a flat rate envelope I do it all the time with my regular stained glass I sell as mosiac tumble glass. :idea: please let me know Andy