Bracelet mold & gravity?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Bracelet mold & gravity?

Post by quill »

Excuse me if this has been covered before but I am trying to figure out how a bracelet mold is used to slump. I understand how the glass molds to the top but how on earth do you get the open end to curve up?

I don't actually have a bracelet mold but the question has been rattling around in my head all day.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Complete instructions for using the mold here: http://www.edhoy.com/braceletmaking.pdf
jj jacobs

Post by jj jacobs »

Once the glass strip has slumped over the bracelet mold, you carefully reach inside the kiln with your graphite tongs and tuck the end pieces under.

IMPORTANT: Be sure the kiln is shut off before you reach in with the tongs, and wear protective eyewear and gloves.

It's tricky at first, but once you get the technique down, it's really quite simple! :D
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks Brad but for some reason my computor can't load this PDF file.
Once the glass strip has slumped over the bracelet mold, you carefully reach inside the kiln with your graphite tongs and tuck the end pieces under.
Can you tell me why it doesn't just re-slump back down?
charlie

Post by charlie »

quill wrote:Thanks Brad but for some reason my computor can't load this PDF file.
when you are reaching in, the kiln is cooling. you're not supposed to heat it up past about 1150 or so, so it won't unbend. if it does, you have to repeat the operation and squeeze it again.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

quill wrote:Thanks Brad but for some reason my computor can't load this PDF file.
Like Charlie said, as you are manipulating the glass, the kiln and everything in it are cooling down... as the glass cools, it becomes stiffer. The trick is to force the legs of the bracelet (the free ends) into position with the graphite tongs while the glass is hot and support them there until they are cool enough to stay in place. Then you close the kiln and go right to annealing.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
quill

Post by quill »

Ah... that makes sense. Thanks everyone.