attack bracelets anothe rookie question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sandpiper

attack bracelets anothe rookie question

Post by Sandpiper »

I used to teach scuba diving, and I carried a pretty hefty liability policy in case anyone did something stupid and got hurt/died. So, I'm always tuned into possible lawsuits :shock: So I see these cool glass bracelets. Neat, but what happens when some dizzy female type is gesturing and hits her bracelet on the counter, breaking it (the bracelet, not the counter) and lacerating her wrist? Or are we targeting the depressed female teenage market?
Any thoughts. Any lawyers out there? Anyone mad at me for making light of depressed teenagers? I don't want someone to sue me and take my scuba gear, my kayak, and my house. The house is no great shakes, but the kayak is sweet :D
Sandpiper
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The bracelets take quite a beating. I wear one when I go out, and sometimes when I'm teaching, and I've never broken one. The only time I've heard of one breaking is when they get dropped on a tile or concrete floor. If they were to break while on someone's wrist, there would be no structure left, so they would just fall away. If you were to smack it against a granite countertop, you would break it, but since it is contoured to your wrist there shouldn't be anything sticking up to cut you... I suppose we could just as easily worry about a bowl breaking while someone is carrying it and having it cut them... but then you could probably carry that worry through to any handmade items.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I ahve seen several break. A friend broke his when he was doing a booth set up. It did cut his wrist and his was out of boro which is ususally a hardier glass. Another friend broke hers when she was carrying some stuff and the bracelet got hooked on an item that she was setting down, it just popped. I don't think she got hurt.

I opted not to even try to make the kiln formed bracelets because of the same reasons you discussed. I do make fused beads into braclets.

Susan W
Don Burt

Re: attack bracelets anothe rookie question

Post by Don Burt »

Sandpiper wrote: clip
Anyone mad at me for making light of depressed teenagers?
clip
Sandpiper
Teens were the lesser target of your insensitivity. Females as a group took the double shot to the broadside, so to speak.

I think jewelry in general causes a number of accidents yearly. Earrings, rings, bracelets. Necklaces sound like an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention the occasional misfortune that accompanies piercing. I work for the insurance comany that is the leader in safety research, so I should know all about these things. Yep, I should.
jj jacobs

Post by jj jacobs »

Just a thought--what about including a "how to take care of..." paragraph on your hangtags to be given away with every bracelet sold?

You might want to say something about how glass bracelets are for adornment purposes only, are subject to breakage, and wearers do so at their own risk....

I'm not an attorney but a disclaimer from the artist that makes the person aware of the potential problems could possibly help your case if it ever went that far.... :roll:
mybigsister

Post by mybigsister »

Tony - You bracelets are beautiful! :D..................Pat in WA
Kristalwick

Post by Kristalwick »

I agree...Tony, those bracelets are a real work of art. I think I'd frame it instead of wear it!!! LOL
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Thank you. I can take credit for forming the bracelets... the combings, the twists and the black with gold leaf toward the front are my glass... the others I made from pieces of Patty Gray's scrap glass.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun