G.A.S. Protest Vote

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Thanks to Pete and Lani for saying things better than I could. I'm especially thankful for Pete's efforts in the area of trying to expand the kiln-forming presence within GAS. It will take time, but at least it's moving in the right direction.
Dani

Post by Dani »

... and lest we all blindly think that democracy is the best form of government, let me simply state that I believe benevolent monarchy works best! :lol: And it seems to me a worthy goal for anyone interested in G.A.S. would be as member of the nominating committee which, as Pete points out, wields a good deal of influence. All IMPO of course. Whatever the G.A.S. shortcomings, at this point the end products of the organization tell me something seems to be working.... despite the lack of democracy.
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . At WGW last fall the biggest
problem I heard about was the poor quality of instruction that is rampant in our midst. Learning to fuse one weekend and teaching the next isn’t going to build us the kind of reputation for quality work that is demanded by professional organizations such as GAS.

GAS can’t legitimize us, only we can. ….and their nominating process is not the problem. Lani

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah Lani, trolling? Well, you got a bite here.

Take a course, teach a course.

Sorry, doesn't work for me.

How about taking a lot of courses, working in your studio for years, developing and refining your own techniques, and developing a voice that is uniquely yours.

THEN teach a course.

It is very frustrating to see the disinformation that is being given to students that we eventually teach. The instant experts who have a passing knowledge of the field, and run out to teach it, are a huge detriment.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Pete VanderLaan

Post by Pete VanderLaan »

well, the tyranny of the majority can be pretty ugly. I invite you to refer to the philosophy of Alexander Melamid and his paintings based on polled individuals regarding what they want to see in their artwork. They want it blue, with a family picnicing by a lake with a moose or deer nearby. They like lighthouses and George Washington really belongs in every painting. Great stuff.

Any Stucky's on any Interstate will tell you what appeals to the current voting masses. Be careful of what you wish for, you just may get it. Pete VanderLaan
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Lani McGregor wrote:
2) Addressing our own issues within this community before we expect GAS to validate us by including kiln-forming in a larger way within its conference program. At WGW last fall the biggest problem I heard about was the poor quality of instruction that is rampant in our midst. Learning to fuse one weekend and teaching the next isn’t going to build us the kind of reputation for quality work that is demanded by professional organizations such as GAS.

GAS can’t legitimize us, only we can.
….and their nominating process is not the problem.

Lani
Well said Lani. I hope this topic will be covered at BeCon, as well as discussion on possible certification of instructors. It may be the only way in which to eliminate the dilution of knowledgeable information which seems to be prevalent of late.

Avery
Pete VanderLaan

Post by Pete VanderLaan »

Our standard definition of an "expert" is anyone more than twenty five miles from home with a briefcase. Pete VanderLaan
charlie

OT: expert definition

Post by charlie »

Pete VanderLaan wrote:Our standard definition of an "expert" is anyone more than twenty five miles from home with a briefcase. Pete VanderLaan
for a long while i worked for a group at a major computer manufacturer doing benchmarks (basically proof that the machine could do what they want at the speed we claimed it could do). when customers failed to fully believe our answers to questions, we'd step out in the hall, grab someone wearing a tie, tell them what to say, to agree with us, and bring them into the conference room. for some reason, the customers almost always believed that person over us.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Well gee ..... I have a briefcase!
:lol:

Barb
Terry Craig

Post by Terry Craig »

i would like to point out that gas has shown kiln workshops and lectures in the past. last year at corning they even had the mold makking olympics that showed several teams from around the world making molds for the kiln in their own way. it wasd fun and people worked hard at trying to show l0ts of different tech. and keep it from being tottaly boaring to the hot workers who learned a bit about kiln workers and their habbits.
where you there?