More thinfire

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

S. Klein

More thinfire

Post by S. Klein »

I put thinfire on top of 1/8" fibre. Fired to 1510, 15 min hold. I have very fine dust like particles stuck to the back (thinfire side). Without sanblasting can anyone advise a way to get this clean? Also, is there a limit to temp that thinfire should go to?..............steve
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867
Phil Hoppes

Kilnwash remover

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Steve,

I've used kilnwash remover from Hotline and it has worked before. I'm guessing you've tried that already but I thought I'd pass it on.

Phil
Jackie Beckman

Re: More thinfire

Post by Jackie Beckman »

S. Klein wrote:I put thinfire on top of 1/8" fibre. Fired to 1510, 15 min hold. I have very fine dust like particles stuck to the back (thinfire side). Without sanblasting can anyone advise a way to get this clean? Also, is there a limit to temp that thinfire should go to?..............steve

Hi Steve,
I use this same set up when I fire - the 1/8" fiber then thinfire on top of that. However, I fire face down, so when this happens to me I usually have to blast it to get if off 100%. That said, I have had luck soaking the piece in water for a couple hours and then scrubbing it with a wire(?) brush - the one used to clean the grill. I've fired thinfire that hot many times, and it only occasionally proves to be a problem, but not always. I think it's suggested top temp is 1500 though. Besides - I can't imagine that you don't intend to put one of your magical finishes on the piece anyway -

Take care,
Jackie