Make a tile saw mobile?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Steve Immerman

Make a tile saw mobile?

Post by Steve Immerman »

I just purchased a new tile saw, MK-100. It works great, but is too heavy for me to move around by myself. I want to be able to get it in and out of the garage easily.

I need an idea for a way to make it roll when I want it to, but not when I don't. It came with a very nice, sturdy stand, and I'd like to try to put wheels on it. Not sure if I should shoot for four wheels; or two (and roll it like a wheelbarrow).

It looks like this:

I have several ideas for how to proceed, but not sure if they'll be successful. Anybody done this?

Steve
charlie

Post by charlie »

well, if you put two wheels on, you'd have to add something to the other end to make it level.

my tile saw has an optional stand with wheels on one end, the other end was longer. thus you did wheel it around like a wheelbarrow. however, it's too short and i have to work on it hunched over. when doing a tile job, i set the stand up on overturned 5gal buckets which make it be the correct height for me.

you can use locking swiveling casters. look for ones that do a two way lock: they lock both the swivel and the wheel.

you can make just a platform that this stand sits on out of 2x4's. harborfrieght has one of these that comes with metal corners and wheels, you just supply the wood.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Steve,

If the pan is empty, think about using a two wheel dolly under one side. It'll make it easy to move around, but it may be a little awkward.

I put my small tile saw on a rolling toolbox (after I draped it with plastic) and used the locking wheels to hold it in position without a problem. Your saw is larger and again, it may make it awkward to move about.

As an alternative to putting the saw on something to move about, how about adding two hinged caster supports on the stand that will flip down and under the stand? You would lift one side at a time and flip the casters down... then it should roll easily. I can send you a sketch tonight if you are interested.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Carol

Post by Carol »

I have my kilns (they're ceramics kilns) on plywood platforms with 4 cabinet wheels on each. That way I can roll them away for storage when I'm going away for a couple of days...I run them in the breezeway. The wheels were purchased at a lumberyard, are hard black plastic and have a locking mechanism to keep the kilns from moving when they're in place. A similar system should work for your tile saw.

Carol
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

They make mobile bases for band saws, etc. you could buy something like that - or look one up on a tool site and make your own to fit... wood or metal and four wheels with locking mechanism would probably work best. My tile saw came with two wheels, but if the pan is full it's slosh, slosh if I want to move it :(

Linda
Dick Ditore

base

Post by Dick Ditore »

Hi Steve. I bought an HTC 1000 universal base from Amazon for my wet belt. It works great. You adjust it when you build it, and it has locking wheels. My tile saw has a stand and wheels on one end. It works fine. You pick up one end, and wheel it. It came from Harbor Freight.

Dick
Steve Immerman

Mobile Base For Tile Saw

Post by Steve Immerman »

Dick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I purchased one from amazon for $43 and it works well. Just the solution I needed.

This is how it looks assembled, with the wheels "up" so it won't roll. Flip a lever on each wheel, and they are down and it is "mobile".

Steve