Pattern Bar Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

Pattern Bar Question

Post by Randy W »

I made a pattern bar or transparent glass, sliced it up, and arranged the pieces. Do I fire them ON a piece clear or CAP them with clear?

Thanks, Randy
Marty

pb, hold the j

Post by Marty »

I wouldn't cap them, not with a solid piece anyway- too many bubbles. You could fire them on glass or just by themselves, they'll melt together and hold.
charlie

Post by charlie »

you have to fuse them either together or on something first. you can then clearcap it in another firing. if you do both together, you'll most probably get massive bubbles from trapped air.
Candy Kahn

Post by Candy Kahn »

Randy,
There are several ways you can use pattern bars. You mentioned you arranged the pieces. Do you intend to use them as a stand alone piece? How thick did you slice the bars? How thick do you want the finished piece?
Depending on your answers you can fuse the pieces together first and then add to that piece, or if you intend to incorporate it in with other pieces you can arrange them with all the other pieces and fire at one time using kiln furniture to hold the pieces in place.

Candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass