reversing a bowl/re slumping to invert bowl?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Leslie Ihde

reversing a bowl/re slumping to invert bowl?

Post by Leslie Ihde »

I slumped a shallow bowl using BE glass about 16" in diameter, 1 1/2" deep. Now I want to change that. I sand blasted the inside and want to reslump so that the sandblasted surface will be on the outside. See and problem with that? I think I'll use a wok shape, a steel mold. Thanks in advance, Leslie :?:
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Leslie,

I guess it would work all in one slump but I wonder if the slight stretching that occurred duringh the initial slmp might cause an edge to develop a ripple or crease. If the piece was a real keeper then I would go a conservative route and place the bowl on a kiln shelf and slump it back to a flat shape.... anneal and cool to room temp. Then it probably should be resandblasted prior to the final slump. Just guessing though.

Hope it works.

Cheers,

Bob
Leslie Ihde

Thanks, Bob, re reversing bowl

Post by Leslie Ihde »

Hi Bob in Canada.
It must be cold there, it's been a terrible winter here in upstate NY.

I wondered it I should do 2 slumps. But I worried about devit- it's already been fired 2x and devit seems to start to get excited after 3 firings. Not sure What I'll do- maybe a super slow single slump. Thanks for your help.

Leslie
Bob

Re: Thanks, Bob, re reversing bowl

Post by Bob »

Leslie Ihde wrote:Hi Bob in Canada.
It must be cold there, it's been a terrible winter here in upstate NY.

I wondered it I should do 2 slumps. But I worried about devit- it's already been fired 2x and devit seems to start to get excited after 3 firings. Not sure What I'll do- maybe a super slow single slump. Thanks for your help.

Leslie
Hi Leslie,

If you are slumping and keep the temperature low ( just enough for the glas to bend ) then devitrification will not be a problem. Devit starts at about 1375F for Bullseye. You should be able to slump your piece at 1150F

Cheers

Bob
Leslie Ihde

reverse slump- Thank-you, Bob

Post by Leslie Ihde »

I will try at 1150. It's good to know where devit starts. Leslie :)