sinks

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jen

sinks

Post by Jen »

Hi I am new to fusing I usually work with pyrex and borc. glass. I wanted to learn how to do sinks. Does anyone have any hints. If you have done them do you prefer the drop ring or mold? Mahalo...
Glenda Kronke

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Hi Jen and welcome!

I guess I'll jump in here since no one has replied to your question.

I believe there is a large learning curve to making a sink that will not break under normal use, especially if you have not fused before. I would start with the tutorials on basic fusing, then I would start making small projects and work your way up to the larger pieces. There are many exciting things to learn along the way. Only after you are confident that you can properly anneal a large piece (among other things) would I suggest trying to make a sink. You would not want to make a sink for your mom's house and have it break while she was standing there washing her hands. It could be quite dangerous. (there are liability issues)

I would also suggest searching the old archives for 'sinks'. There has been some discussion on this. *There is even a company (RCN) out there selling 'sink' kilns (very pricey).

BTW: When you say you are new to fusing and usually work with pyrex and borc. glass, does that mean you are a flame-worker? I know that even with flame working there's a learning curve. (I have a torch and have made beads and stringer, etc for years but I am not even close to attempting a sculptural piece) Am I making sense?

I wrote a lot more about things to consider (there are numerous things) but after I re-read it I deleted it all because it sounded like I was being condenscending. (I'm not really!) I just wanted to try and cover some ground because there are a lot of people out there wanting to make sinks and I don't think they realize that it isn't as simple as making a bowl and drilling a hole in it.

I'm really not trying to discourage you, it's just that you need to learn to fuse before trying to do something major like a sink. (and have fun along the way!)
Good Luck!
Jen

Post by Jen »

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I do lampworking I work at a shop called http://www.mauicrystal.com if you want to check out what we do. I have never worked with soft glass but want to try to combined some of what I do and what you do with compadable glass. But my big goal is to redo my sons bathroom with a glass sink and tiles. I have a couple books but it is all so different than what I am used to. If you have any pointers for beginers I would appreciate it. I won't take anything personal
Mahalo.....