another tile saw question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jason Boebinger

another tile saw question

Post by Jason Boebinger »

Ive gone through the archives to find out what blade I want for my MK tile saw with a seven inch blade, but wasnt able to find a final answer. I using the blade mostly to cut pattern bars. The blade it came with cut good but wasted a alot of material. Can someone give me a model number of a thinner kirf (but not one that wanders). I need it for a project soon but I dont want to be hasty, willing to pay for a better quality blade.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

http://www.mk-diamond-blades.com/

HIS glassworks sells blades too, so check there.

I got a premium blade from MK. No more haze, less chipping and less material lost than with the blade that came with the saw. Get a dressing stone too if you don't already have one. Haven't checked out the glass blade that you can get at HIS. Others will have more comprehensive info.
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

I too have been wondering about what blade would be best for cutting pattern bars. I've got a MK tile saw that I have used for cutting stone. The label on the blade has long since washed off and I have no idea what I've got. It's 10" diameter and .060" thick - could be any of a slew of MK blades.

I get a haze on my pattern bars after cutting, but it fire polishes just fine - I haven't had problems with the bars devitting (is that a word?).

The only problem I have is with chipping of the last part of the bar. I usually loose a triangle that's about 1/4" on a side. I've tried cutting faster, slower and nothing seems to make a difference. Would the right blade solve this?

Has anyone tried any kind of clamping fixture? Would this help with chipping the end?

The only blade that MK specifies for glass is the MK-215GL. Can anyone comment on if this is the best blade for glass? Is there a better choice? Please recommend a specific model number.

Larry
Candy Kahn

Post by Candy Kahn »

I have been using the MK-215GL with my MK tile saw for a couple of years and it works great. The only time I get any chipping is if I push the blade through too quickly. I also keep a new blade handy at all times and use it if I need to make an especially clean cut (one I am not going to refire). The blades are expensive but do a good job.

candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass
scooter riegelsperger

Post by scooter riegelsperger »

I buy alot of diamond saw blades and the best place I've found is Standard Diamond in Illinois. My contact there is John Sharrow. He's very helpful & knowledgeable. Tell him Scooter from Optical Instrument Lab sent you, he'll treat you right. Be sure to tell him you need 5/8" ID for that saw.
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?