Vote on board format

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Should the board change back to the old format?

Yes.
23%
No.
54%
It doesn't matter to me.
13%
I'm not familiar with the old format.
9%

Total votes: 213

Dani

Post by Dani »

Hey the invitation is still open for you too mate if you get over here again. Sorry to take the thread so offt rack.[/quote]

Wow, that was really kind of surreal, going through this thread.... :P :o
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

OK, I'm really late into this, again! I just don't have enough time anymore. I didn't really notice that much difference in the new board, because I was reading the old board in "mixed threaded" or whatever where all the posts in a thread just came up on the page in chronological order anyway. I thought that was a lot faster than clicking back and forth on threads.

Whatever works the best for Brad is just fine with me.
Mimi Rivera Vellek

Post by Mimi Rivera Vellek »

I like the new format, as well as the different forums you've established-- but I miss being able to see right away who has posted to which threads.
Hugo Gavarini

Feelings

Post by Hugo Gavarini »

Whatever software is fine with me. However, I voted for the old board because I have felt more comfortable it that environment.

I have been able to compare the old WGBB and the Craftweb (similar software than this new) simultaneously. Since there is not problem with them, I would prefer the straightforward and cozy old system.

Of curse, this is a more powerful tool, just it's a taste issue, I think.

Possibly, the more forceful diagnosis imput would be the board traffic. That´s for an unfavorable change should produce a lowering of traffic in the long run.

PS.: I would miss the editing tool indeed.
Hugo
Bill J.

Post by Bill J. »

Hi there;

I'm new to the group, so I have no experience with the old board.

I don't have lots of time to search and search, I have a studio to run, and right now, that is harder than ever with the economic climate.

I am also not a computer techie.

That said, I like this site. I can negotiate it easily, find topics of interest.

I am interested in the new shelves for example. I logged on half way through the discussion (April I think) went off, did shows, made my stuff and came backat the end of may and had no trouble finding where I had left off.

Good work,

Bill
Bill Jamieson
Vitreous Designs, Mayne Is, B.C.
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

The new board has taken some getting used to, but I prefer it. More discussion on topic, fewer tedious digressions. (I could live without the emoticons, especially the animated ones flashing in the corner of my eye as I type.)

One thing that might improve the board—and this must come from the users, though perhaps it could be suggested—is clear and thoughtful subject headings. Ideally, one would derive some sense of the content before opening the post. A lot to ask, I suppose.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Brad,
I like the readability of the new format. As was mentioned above the idea of a chat room for instant questions/answers or a way to ask a question to someone logged on at the same time would be great. Just last week I had a piece in the kiln and had a question that I would have loved to ask someone for their opinion.

Stuart
Laurie Young

Post by Laurie Young »

Im not sure why, but in the past with the old board I checked it twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and was always excited to do so. Now Im lucky to check in once a week. I liked the warmth of the old board and liked being able to pick what I read sometimes solely on whom it was that had posted. Although I think the new board is probably more efficient, it has lost some of its allure for me. But in the end it comes down to what works best for you Brad!
lohman

Post by lohman »

I just voted in favor of this format because I like the different sections a la Washington Post. I have logged on many times since this poll was started but hadn't checked this thread. I'm glad I did. I've just spent the last 15 or 20 minutes reading ALL the postings (that were fit to print?) and not only did I learn a bit about the personalities of those in our community but I had a helluva good time. Way better than TV! I experienced a broad range of emotions from sympathizing with those with older slower computers, to agreeing (if that is an emotion) with other on the features this format provides. I lol when I came to the "scene" where the postings were short and simple "what she said", "what he said".
IMHO the "pissing" scene was way too short.
Look forward to meeting some of you folks in September at the Warm Glass Conference.