Cutting teensy bits

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

lahainagirl

Cutting teensy bits

Post by lahainagirl »

Is there any way to cut very small precise squares without grinding? (Very small meaning, maybe, 1/8" - 1/4" - I'm using thin BE.) I've got a pendant design that's selling well, and it incorporates about 5 tiny squares. Right now I'm cutting a thin strip, then using glass nippers to "nip" the little guys, but the final square is anything BUT precise. Thanks very much for any advice you can pass on,
Cheryl
Cheryl Kennedy, BeachHouseGlass
"A rainy-day nap, a hot cup of strong coffee, opening the kiln at the end of a firing - some things just make life worth living, don't they?"
rosanna gusler

Re: Cutting teensy bits

Post by rosanna gusler »

score your glass one way, rotate and score the other way. flip on a surface that gives and press to break out your squares. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have scored both ways as Rosanna said, run the scores in one direction starting in the center of the sheet then the center of each smaller sheet, etc. until all strips were one width wide. I placed a strip with the cross scored side down on a couple of sections of newspaper for the give in it and rolled down the length of the strip with a rolling pin. It sounded like popping corn and produced squares nicely. My large diameter rolling pin for clay really worked the best. The few scores which did not break were easily finished with running pliers.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
lahainagirl

Post by lahainagirl »

Wow, that sounds great! (But wait - doesn't it kind of ruin your cutting blade to go over another score with it?)
"A rainy-day nap, a hot cup of strong coffee, opening the kiln at the end of a firing - some things just make life worth living, don't they?"
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have not noticed any trouble cutting across scored lines instead of along them. If you really worry about it you can flip the glass over for the second set of scores.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
lahainagirl

Post by lahainagirl »

Okay, thanks very much you guys, I'm so glad to hear I don't need to purchase a mega-expensive piece of equipment to get these little squares!