masks

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

KissMyGlass

masks

Post by KissMyGlass »

I have a new mask mold. I thought I'd use the spray instead of kiln wash due to the tiny places. It is a pretty deep mold. Do I cut the glass slightly larger that the edge of the mold? Anybody have any pointers?
Lynn g

Re: masks

Post by Lynn g »

What kind of spray are you talking about? Remember, boron nitride is for stainless steel, not ceramic. If your mold is ceramic, you might try Primo Primer. It can be brushed or sprayed, and is easily removed after firing so detail doesn't get clogged up.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
PaulaKelly

Post by PaulaKelly »

I've used Boron spray on ceramic molds without any problems...especially molds with fine details that the kiln wash could obscure. The only thing to remember is that you cant switch back and forth--once you use boron on the ceramics, it seals it; the kiln wash won't stick afterwards.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

What Paula says :>)
Jim

PaulaKelly wrote:I've used Boron spray on ceramic molds without any problems...especially molds with fine details that the kiln wash could obscure. The only thing to remember is that you cant switch back and forth--once you use boron on the ceramics, it seals it; the kiln wash won't stick afterwards.