Fiber floor kiln

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

LinT

Fiber floor kiln

Post by LinT »

I'm very new to warm glass. I recently purchased an Olympic 126 Lite kiln. The elements are in the lid, which is brick, but the floor and walls are made of fiber. I've been using a kiln shelf placed directly on the fiber floor, but I've only had about a 50% success rate on figuring out my firing schedules. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Should I elevate the shelf off the floor with posts, or is it okay to leave it directly on the floor? Is there a rule-of-thumb for adjusting firing schedules when using a kiln with a fiber floor?
I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. I've posted my projects and the firing schedules I used on http://www.fusing101.com

Thank you!!
Linda T in Maryland
bob proulx

Re: Fiber floor kiln

Post by bob proulx »

You always want to raise the kiln shelf off 0f the floor so air can circulate keeping the temps more even around your whole piece.
Bob
LinT

Post by LinT »

Bob,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely do that in the future. So much to learn! I appreciate the help.
Linda
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

There are numerous ways you can make this work, including firing directly on the floor. I like to dust my fiber with alumina hydrate. Yes, if you use a shelf raise it off the floor and allow circulation all around it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I fire fiber shelves directly on my fiber floor, when I fire a mullite shelf I raise it off my fiber floor.
Rick Wilton
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

ok, now that we all know to elevate the shelf...

Figuring out firing schedules for a new kiln takes time. I have 7 (yes, seven) kilns and each one of them fires differently (even 2 of the same kiln...). So stop pulling your hair out (unless it grows back very quickly) and fire some test pieces rather than pieces you'll die over and take TONS of notes. Seriously, this does not mean you're crazy or not experienced or that the kiln goddess has not had enough gin (ok maybe this last one is true).
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
LinT

Post by LinT »

Thank you all so much for the advice. No matter how many books I read, it’s always a total surprise to me when I open the kiln. I will take notes and try not to take it personally when the glass takes a different path than I expected.
Thanks again!
Linda
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Lin T,
the only fatal mistakes are those that you learn nothing of.
Nobody has learned bicycle riding by reading books.
You learn by doing.
Keep notes, about everything
Add comments to your kiln diary, photos if possible.
Evaluate ALL results in your notes.

I am practically self learned. It takes nerves but pays off later.
Take a class or two if possible. That pays off.

-lauri
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

LinT wrote:Thank you all so much for the advice. No matter how many books I read, it’s always a total surprise to me when I open the kiln. I will take notes and try not to take it personally when the glass takes a different path than I expected.
Thanks again!
Linda
Linda, I don't depend solely on firing schedules, at least while I am experimenting. I visually check the glass as it nears the expected completion point. If the glass needs a little more time than I had programmed, I add a few minutes. This may save you a lot of time in perfecting your firing schedules. You can get very precise results by visually checking the glass.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / http://www.paragonweb.com
LinT

Post by LinT »

Arnold,
I hate to admit this, but I’m afraid to open the kiln when it’s at 1400 degrees. I don’t even like being in the same room with it when it’s that hot – that’s why I bought a baby monitor and watch it from another room. Hopefully this is a fear I will outgrow because it limits what I can do, but I do appreciate the advice. Just something I need to work on :?
LinT
Fusing Novice
http://www.fusing101.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

LinT wrote:Arnold,
I hate to admit this, but I’m afraid to open the kiln when it’s at 1400 degrees. I don’t even like being in the same room with it when it’s that hot – that’s why I bought a baby monitor and watch it from another room. Hopefully this is a fear I will outgrow because it limits what I can do, but I do appreciate the advice. Just something I need to work on :?
Lin

My front loader kiln has peep holes in the lid, They are filled with a wad of fiber blanket, 2" thick. At 1500ºF inside the kiln, I can take hold of that wad of fiber with my bare hand, and pull it out of the door. That same material is seeing 1500ºF 2" away. With the hole open, you can look in. You can also put a cigarette in your mouth, place the far end inside the hole, suck, and it will light right up. There are 2 concerns when exposing yourself to the big heat. First is never wear polyester, it can melt and hurt you. Natural fibers are fine. The second is watch out for your hair.

That said, I really like to put kevlar gloves on, heat a stainless steel bowl of glass up to 1200ºF, reach in, remove the bowl, and dump it in a plastic bucket of water. It makes a lot of noise, boils the water, and makes frit.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
CH Glass

Post by CH Glass »

Bert, that sounds like fun! I'll have to try it, with the appropriate protective gear, of course...
LinT

Post by LinT »

Okay, now that's going to give me nightmares... I'm going to try not to expose myself to the "big heat" for now - I kind of like my hair the way it is - but thanks for the visual :shock:
LinT
Fusing Novice
http://www.fusing101.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

LinT wrote:Okay, now that's going to give me nightmares... I'm going to try not to expose myself to the "big heat" for now - I kind of like my hair the way it is - but thanks for the visual :shock:
Seriously Lin, the practice of looking in to the kiln is essential to learning how to devise effective firing schedules. There are only a few health hazard rules that are easy to follow. Do not spend too long staring in to the hot kiln, especially if you wear contact lenses. Extended exposure to IR can result in drying out your eyes. Looking for a few moments is perfectly safe. In all the years of this BB, one person reported having a problem with getting dry eyes. She spent considerable looking in to her kiln. This can be done safely. The hair thing is pretty much common sense. Keep loose dangling hairs away from the big heat.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*