Kiln Venting

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

JHible18

Kiln Venting

Post by JHible18 »

Hello all,

**Newbie alert**

Well, I did it. I ordered a glass kiln. Ha, now I just feel overwhelmed and nervous. I thought I would be excited? Oh well, no turning back now. Anyway, my question is about venting. It will be in the basement of our house and I am concerned about the fumes. From what I have read, most people believe that an actual venting kit is not necessary for glass (like it is ceramic). I am very concerned about firing (especially recycled glass) and not having any nasty fumes.

I know that a lot of old windows contain lead and I definitely don't want to breathe that in. If I were to install a venting kit would that effect my other work? Can that be shut off/on or is it constantly on? I am thinking that maybe I could just vent during float glass firings...

Opinions please? Thanks again!
Brock

Re: Kiln Venting

Post by Brock »

You can vent selectively, as needed. Old window glass should not contain lead.
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

JHible18 wrote:If I were to install a venting kit would that effect my other work? Can that be shut off/on or is it constantly on? I am thinking that maybe I could just vent during float glass firings...
I would use a motorized vent when firing shelf paper, glass paints, and decals. You can turn off the vent at any time, typically when the glass has fused and is ready for cooling. The 12-key Sentry controller can turn a vent on or off for each segment of the firing.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
jolly

Post by jolly »

Window glass is not lead glass and never has been. But fiber paper stinks like burning sugar so vent that. Enamels can have some stuff that needs venting too. You won't have a problem if you prepare your shelves with kiln wash instead of fiber paper and practice with old windows. Old windows are great for learning how to score glass and break it. However, I wonder if the fiber in the new kiln will have been treated with something- I've never bought a new kiln.
I would plan on eventually putting in a powered vent out of that room so you aren't hampered in your artistic desires.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

This issue has come up many times. Unless you are firing something other than glass, there are no combustion products of concern.

Greg, the retired Certified Industrial Hygienist
Greg
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Old window putty and paint can contain the lead associated as being with old windows. :-k :-k :-k
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Old window putty and paint can contain the lead associated as being with old windows. :-k :-k :-k
And I would assume anyone would make sure their glass was clean before they put it in their kiln! Anyway, putting Pb-crystal into a kiln does not present an exposure issue.
Greg