High Temp wire for fusing in bottles

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

SusanHyatt

High Temp wire for fusing in bottles

Post by SusanHyatt »

Can anyone tell me what type of wire and gauge I need to use in the neck of bottles while slumpying? I have used 20 gauge copper from craft stores and it flakes, turns black and isn't strong enough to hold the bottle weight. Any suggestions on where to purchase necessary wire?

Thanks,

Susan
AndyT

Re: High Temp wire for fusing in bottles

Post by AndyT »

SusanHyatt wrote:Can anyone tell me what type of wire and gauge I need to use in the neck of bottles while slumpying? I have used 20 gauge copper from craft stores and it flakes, turns black and isn't strong enough to hold the bottle weight. Any suggestions on where to purchase necessary wire?

Thanks,

Susan
Nichrome wire. I use 17g.
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Most places which carry fusing supplies will have nichrome wire; pottery supply stores also carry it.

I have used 16g copper wire for bottles...twist 2 pieces together (Morton has a handy inexpensive tool for this, or you can use a variable speed drill and a vise) and it will be strong and attractive. A wire brush will remove the black flakiness after firing.
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
SusanHyatt

Post by SusanHyatt »

Thanks, Sounds very helpful.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I'm curious if stainless steel 20lb wire would work? Has anyone tried It ?

You can get a 1000 foot roll under 10.00.
Thanks much!
St
Judd

Post by Judd »

I have not tried Stainless Steel because everyone has told me it will crack the glass once it's room temperture. But, try it. You may learn something.