old DTC 800 digital controller

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

bothofushk

old DTC 800 digital controller

Post by bothofushk »

Hi all,,I have a question about my controller,,,the display(digits) are partially burned out..but it still runs the I want..called paragon and they said it cant be fixed that I need to replace the whole controller,,my question is...since its still firing (working) how long do you think I can use it?..maybe someone had had the same problem..anyway Thanks for all that reply..

bothofushk
linn keller

Re: old DTC 800 digital controller

Post by linn keller »

hi!
do i understand you that you can still program it but you can't tell for certain, because of gaps in the display, that it's showing the numbers you hope you programmed? if the last program is what you want, you can tell it enter for each segment and then enter, enter to start it.
if it will still let you program it, then i don't see why you can't just program very carefully, taking your time, and making sure the number you punch in is what you want, then fire like usual (with the understanding that if you think you made a mistake, reprogram your firing sequence).
also, if you can go thru the numbers, take a pic of what's showing on the little screen so you know what each number looks like now, without all the lines it's composed of, and then you should be able to program and check, knowing what each number is looking like since the display went wonky.
or have i totally misunderstood what you meant?
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

thanks so much Linn,,yes you do understand my question...its working fine..I am very careful to program it..I am just nervous..I dont want to buy new controller right now..btw..do any of you know of a good CHEAP controller...lol...or where to buy a cheaper one?

Thanks
bothofushk
linn keller

Post by linn keller »

did you ask paragon is there's any linkage between the the display and the actual functionality? i have no idea, but it seems to me that as long as the "brains/memory" of the controller are working, you're fine.
controllers are available occasionally on craigslist and ebay. since your controller is working now, you've got time to look, so you could start now.
on the other hand, what shape is the kiln in and what controller(s) would actually work on that kiln? you might be better off looking for a gently used kiln with its own controller if you feel you can't/don't want to buy a new kiln. again, since the kiln is working you've got time.
regarding cheap/cheaper.....you have to figure that amount out for yourself. think about $ of new controller that would run this kiln and how long the kiln will work. then you need a different kiln - do you want to find one that'd work with the new controller or just get a new(er) kiln or ??? decide what your plan is going to be, then you can implement it witihout having to just react.
good luck.
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
bothofushk

Post by bothofushk »

I have been looking on ebay and craigslist at kilns and controllers...Paragons controller are 395.99 plus harness 12..and that actually doesnt sound too bad since I have been looking elsewhere,,several are more $$...anyone with other suggestions are welcome Thanks Linn...will keep looking..

bothofushk
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Do you want (cheap) or inexpensive ?

bothofushk wrote:thanks so much Linn,,yes you do understand my question...its working fine..I am very careful to program it..I am just nervous..I dont want to buy new controller right now..btw..do any of you know of a good CHEAP controller...lol...or where to buy a cheaper one?

Thanks
bothofushk