Kiln Selection Questions

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

PaulaKelly

Kiln Selection Questions

Post by PaulaKelly »

I am buying a new kiln this weekend and (based on my power supply limitations) I have it narrowed down to Skutt Kiln Fire Box14 and Evenheat Studio Pro 14 Kiln. The Skutt is $200 cheaper, but they seem to have the same basic specifications.

I'm wondering if it's a Brand Name thing that is causing the price difference, or is EvenHeat a superior product?

I currently have a Skutt Hotstart Pro, but I want something with a square chamber. I originally chose Skutt because the company is fairly close to where I live (in case I needed something fixed) The skutt has worked ok--I hate the pins falling out of the rooftop elements, and the control box can be wonky at times.

Any thoughts on these two brands? Is the Evenheat worth the extra $200?
Marty

Re: Kiln Selection Questions

Post by Marty »

Is the Evenheat worth the extra $200?

no.
PaulaKelly

Post by PaulaKelly »

:D Thanks for the reply. Short, sweet, and to the point!

Have you used either of these kilns or Brands? I value your opinion, but I'd like to know what formed your opinion... :-k
Marty

Post by Marty »

I'm down on EH for building a substandard kiln and not supporting it with service. I've ranted about this before.
PaulaKelly

Post by PaulaKelly »

Marty wrote:I'm down on EH for building a substandard kiln and not supporting it with service. I've ranted about this before.
ahh... :shock: interesting, That's a valid concern for me...I'm not mechanically inclined, and I need strong CS. That's why I picked Skutt with my last kiln.

Thanks for the info! If I may ask, what was substandard about the EH?
Marty

Post by Marty »

After plenty of good firings, I needed to replace the lid on my 2541. The new one came with element grooves so wide that the elements drooped out of the channels on the first firing (and every subsequent one). When I complained, they sent me a pack of pins. Pushing pins in a brick lid is a last resort, in my book, and leads to brick shmoo (a technical term) and loose pins raining down on your glass.

There were previous exchanges with EH about how the lid warped at the ends at fusing temps, sometimes leaving gaps of 3/8" with associated heat loss. I suggested several remedies but they really didn't care. Maybe I was the only crank?
I also don't like how they fasten the lid hardware into the brick, but that's a much smaller matter.

I'd go for Skutt or Paragon or build-it-yourself, which is what I finally did (although I've just acquired a Denver which needs some rebuilding and will not resemble a Denver- on the inside- when I'm done with it).
PaulaKelly

Post by PaulaKelly »

Wow. That would totally end my relationship with EH. And funny that you mentioned the pin-thing for the heating element--that's my biggest peeve about my Skutt...the pins fall out, along with brick grit. Very frustrating.

AND also funny that you mentioned Paragon; since we have been discussing the Skutt vs. EH, I started looking around--I found a comparable Paragon model that meets my needs. Unfortunately I cant find one for sale anywhere close to me. Paragon seem to be reliable and highly regarded; perhaps it would be worth the risk of ordering one? :-k
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

PaulaKelly wrote:Wow. That would totally end my relationship with EH. And funny that you mentioned the pin-thing for the heating element--that's my biggest peeve about my Skutt...the pins fall out, along with brick grit. Very frustrating.

AND also funny that you mentioned Paragon; since we have been discussing the Skutt vs. EH, I started looking around--I found a comparable Paragon model that meets my needs. Unfortunately I cant find one for sale anywhere close to me. Paragon seem to be reliable and highly regarded; perhaps it would be worth the risk of ordering one? :-k
I have three kilns and ordered all three on-line. Two paragons and one Skutt. I ordered from Clay-King and D&L Art Glass (with D&L, you would need an account). All three arrived quickly and in good condition.

Dana W.
Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright »

For what it is worth - I have a Skutt GM22CS kiln with "elements hung on refractory rods", and I love it. Ordered it on line from Clay King. Packaging was great and it arrived without a scratch.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I bought my 2 Olympic kilns from Clay King and as mark said the packaging was good and the service was great.
Bob
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Bullseye in Portland carriers several Paragon models. You might check if they carry the model you are considering. They are rather client-focused and offer excellent customer service and follow up.
PaulaKelly

Post by PaulaKelly »

Thanks for all the info! I have looked for kilns online and Clay-King seems to have the best selection and prices...nice to know they are reliable also, and not the proverbial "you get what you pay for".
Tracy Fries wrote:Bullseye in Portland carriers several Paragon models. You might check if they carry the model you are considering. They are rather client-focused and offer excellent customer service and follow up.
Good idea Tracy, they have awesome store..I'm like a kid at Christmas when I go there!