Using a Ceramic Kiln for Warm Glass - Anyone Using Baffles?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

April

Using a Ceramic Kiln for Warm Glass - Anyone Using Baffles?

Post by April »

Hi guys,
I am a ceramic artist who's recently become a glass fusing addict. I already own a Skutt 1027, which has no lid elements, and would like to fire glass in this ceramic kiln using multiple shelving levels during each firing. Someone in one of my glass classes told me that I could use fiber board baffles/walls at the edges of each kiln shelf in order to regulate the heat that comes from the wall elements, making the fusing process more even in the end and creating a better and more standardized result. So, I've bought the fiber board and intend to cut it into 2" high blocks, fire to remove impurities/binders, and then use these little, re-usable rectangular blocks to line each shelf before warm fusing.
Has anyone done this before? Is there a better way to use a ceramic kiln to fire glass evenly? If so, can you share, please? I spent a lot on the fiber board and can return it if I need to but wanted to get your advice first. Help, please?
rosanna gusler

Re: Using a Ceramic Kiln for Warm Glass - Anyone Using Baffl

Post by rosanna gusler »

i have that same kiln and regularily fire multiple shelf loads of glass. no need to baffle. if you have zone controll on your controller and use an envrionvent it is super easy. if not , it is still way dooable. tell me more about your kiln and controller and i can help. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Just be sure to put at least 6" stilts between your shelfs to get good air and heat flow and you will be fine. The only thing I do not fire in my side fire kilns is large pieces where the sides will heat up before the center causing bubbles galore. Anything 10" or smaller is a go for me. I have a tall skutt (can't think of the #) and I can fire 6 shelves in it at once. Great production loads..... I do also slow down my schedule all around from what I use in my top firing genesis.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Hi April.
I didn't know you were doing fusing now too.
Steve
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Laurie and Rosanna,
I know that all kilns are different and each one requires testing to determine its proper firing schedule, but would either or both of you be willing to share your schedules for fusing 2 layers of 3mm Coe 90 glass and for slumping the results of that firing? I have a 7 cu ft L&L with a downdraft vent and would love to be able to use it for multiple items.
Jennifer
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Jennifer...
I would try
250 hr to 1250 hold till looks done..anneal....maybe no hold at all. Depends on shapes.

Do a test load and see how that goes. Be sure to space your shelves well. I don't know what shape or size your shelves are but be sure to have your larger pieces towards the center of the shelf. If you ever slump lg bowls be sure to have them centered and then you can put littles around the edges.
Laurie Spray

Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Many thanks Laurie. Do you fuse as well as slump in a multi-shelf kiln? If so, what would your schedule be for that?
Jennifer
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Depends on the size of the shelf and what you are firing. Experiment and keep notes. You may find the bottom shelf is cooler and perfect for textural relief pieces....... or they may all fire the same if spaced well.
Laurie Spray

Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

Laurie, are you saying the edges round at 1250 with a hold?
Rose
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.
Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

BTW, baffles will change the temp in zones, which will not be read by your pyrometer.
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Rose.......not fused of course.....1250 for a slump

Jennifer
Just experiment and keep good notes..... Be sure to put in a good bubble squeeze.
Laurie Spray

JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Laurie Spray wrote:Rose.......not fused of course.....1250 for a slump

Jennifer
Just experiment and keep good notes..... Be sure to put in a good bubble squeeze.

Thanks Laurie,
I'll be sure to try it out.
Jennifer