Transparent enamels

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

S.TImmerman

Transparent enamels

Post by S.TImmerman »

Hello,
I need to make 39 candle shelters for a wedding. They will be 8x5 and then slumped into a "c" shape. I've painstakingly cut all the stencils and would like to best place to buy transparent enamels. Would rousche glass stainers be good? I'm also trying to be money conscious as these will be all donated. I need eartly and flower colors. On Rousche's site would i be safe buying from the Glass Stainers Catalog? I realize these are for stained glass but wouldn't they all be transparent?
Much thanks
Shereen

I'm also looking for a dry gun to hook to may air compressor when using my cerium oxide disk, what did you all decide to buy?
Many thanks!!!
Last edited by S.TImmerman on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Burt

Re: Transparent enamels

Post by Don Burt »

Resuche enamels are sold by the pound. Or 1/2 LB with an upcharge. Their transparents are OK, except for their brown sucks.
Kathy Peterson at thegoodstuff.com sells enamels by the small vial. They're high quality German enamels, but they're expensive.
Rynne China has less expensive low-fire glass paint, but they aren't helpful at telling you which colors are true transparents. Their red glass paints are generally transparent (gold-based). Their olive green and moss green are excellent transparents.

How will you be applying this paint?
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I will be Airbrushing the enamels - I bought 50 old Vials of Reusche enamels and I shocked when I looked them up. many are the gold bearing and were very pricey .
I thought about sifting the enamels over the stencils - I may try both

Thanks Much!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

S.TImmerman wrote:I will be Airbrushing the enamels - I bought 50 old Vials of Reusche enamels and I shocked when I looked them up. many are the gold bearing and were very pricey .
I thought about sifting the enamels over the stencils - I may try both

Thanks Much!
These colors are not designed for sifting. They can be painted, sprayed, or screen printed. The powder is so fine that you can not sift a layer the proper thickness. If you apply too much color, it will crack up and get funky.

Spraying is a technique that can get you the widest range of application thickness, from very light to very thick. You will have to do some experimenting to figure out how to get the look you want. Temperature plays a role here as well. Most colors will change, some dramatically, if over or under fired.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Oh, Thank you so much for the heads up, I was going to cut the stencils tomorrow - I'll go the airbrush route
Thank a milion!
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

ventillation is important. lots of heavy metal potential there. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Thank you for the post, yes! a lot contain lead and/or cadmium, I have a 6000 Series Respirator -
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

you really do need to think about contamination by spraying. think about where that spray is going to go . i would ventillate it to the outdoors. remember, the solution to pollution is dillution. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

I recently was on Fusion Headquarters web-site and they have their transparent enamels on sale...20%. I haven't used them, but I am sure that Gil and Carmen wouldn't sell them if they didn't work!