Kiln Recommendation

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

tgotch

Kiln Recommendation

Post by tgotch »

I do cold work with recycled bottles. I am looking to expand into slumped bottles (possibly other types of recycled glass fusing - down the road), and investigating kilns for this. I know very little about kilns (other than what I have read on the internet - so I should be an expert right? :D ).

I would like to start off with a 120v tabletop type model. Ideally it would fit 2-4+ bottles per firing. My budget is under $1000.

Does anyone know of a good solution for this?

I have looked at a few:
Paragon Fusion 14 & 16
Skutt Firebox 14
Big Ceramic Store Trio (which looks like a paragon).

Would any of these work, or do you have alternate recommendations?

When looking at these kilns, there are some options that I am not sure about:
Shelf kit - Do I need?
Fiber top - What is it, and do I need it?
Bead door - Assume I dont need?
Window - Do I need?

Is there anything else (equipment-wise) I should look at?

Thanks in advance.
bob proulx

Re: Kiln Recommendation

Post by bob proulx »

tgotch wrote:I do cold work with recycled bottles. I am looking to expand into slumped bottles (possibly other types of recycled glass fusing - down the road), and investigating kilns for this. I know very little about kilns (other than what I have read on the internet - so I should be an expert right? :D ).

I would like to start off with a 120v tabletop type model. Ideally it would fit 2-4+ bottles per firing. My budget is under $1000.

Does anyone know of a good solution for this?

I have looked at a few:
Paragon Fusion 14 & 16
Skutt Firebox 14
Big Ceramic Store Trio (which looks like a paragon).

Would any of these work, or do you have alternate recommendations?

When looking at these kilns, there are some options that I am not sure about:
Shelf kit - Do I need?
Fiber top - What is it, and do I need it?
Bead door - Assume I dont need?
Window - Do I need?

Is there anything else (equipment-wise) I should look at?

Thanks in advance.
This was my first kiln and I still use it almost every day.
Attachments
oly.JPG
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Sorry, I can't see the picture when I am posting. This has been a good little work horse and Clay King are great to deal with, I liked the kiln and the company so much I bought my larger Olympic clam shell from them. If you are not a lampworker you don't need the bead door. The window is great to keep an eye on the progress of the glass but your vision is very limited to the middle of the kiln. You do want a kiln shelf but as back ups I do use pizza stones you can find anywhere.
Below is a link to Clay king:
http://www.clay-king.com/glasskilns.htm
Bob
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I have the Fusion 14. Great kiln. It does heat a little slowly -- that's a lot of space to heat on 120V power -- but in most instances, you don't need to be going faster than the kiln will go anyway. :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that the shelf in a 14" kiln is 13" or less (gotta have "finger room" to get it in and out of the kiln). I don't think you'll get four bottles in the 14 or the 16 if you are talking wine bottles. The Fusion 14 will hold two wine bottles. I usually do one at a time. If you want to put them in the fancy slumping molds, you'll only be able to accommodate one (it has to be placed diagonally).

If you are not a lampworker, you don't need the bead door. The intent is that you torch a bead, slip it easily into the kiln through the door (rather than opening the lid), torch the next... etc. The downside is that for "normal fusing" you're losing heat out that bead door (and causing a potential temp gradient in the kiln). Not a big deal with smaller kilns where you are doing smaller pieces (i.e., SC2 or SC3), but given the slower nature of the Fusion 14 I wouldn't want to compromise it further by adding the door.

IMO, a view window is a must. I have them in all three of my kilns.

I have two Paragons and a Skutt. I love them all. Find the kiln that has the features you want at the best price.

2 cents,
Dana W.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Oh, also, I agree with Bob on Clay-King. I bought two of my kilns from them. Great prices, quick shipping.

Dana W.
tgotch

Post by tgotch »

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying the Trio from Bigceramic store. Hope to have it by the end of the week. It looks like it will hold two bottles pretty easily (17.75" x 10.75"). It is a Paragon unit.

Can't wait to get it and mess up some glass :D